Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ABS Legal Issues

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mattman, Mar 8, 2001.

1. mattman

mattman 1/2 ton status

I have a 90 Jimmy with RWAL. Does anybody know if it is legal to remove it and just plumb it normally (like a pre 90)? I'm thinking about changing to rear discs and don't want any/deal with any ABS problems. I've seen tons of laws on emissions and air bags but nothing on ABS. For that matter, can you remove 4WAL on newer Chevy's and still be legal? Is it really an inspection issue in any state? In my state (Texas), all they seem to check is if the brakes stop properly, but not how they stop (locked up, didn't lock up, etc).

2. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I have installed rear disc on my 14 bolt FF and have kept the rwal brakes working and the setup works great with no problems.

[​IMG]

3. FWP

FWP CRS

Haven't seen the brake police[​IMG] yet, but give it time[​IMG]. Anyway, do what you want to your bakes- just don't kill youself.

I was having an emmissions inspection, After the test, with very clean emmisions, the kid doing it says your vehicle failed. I say for what? He says "the air inject on the cat is capped. " I calmly point under the hood, at the headers air inject lines and say- "This is the factory location for air inject. The cat is an aftermarket replacement." The kid says OH and passes me. Had I said nothing, I would have had to file an appeal with the state. Oh well- 5% rule.

Sorry, your post reminded me of that incident.

[​IMG]

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Well, from a legal standpoint, a laawyer could probably slam you in court if you knowingly disabled a safety system, then were involved in an accident that resulted in serious injury/fatality to someone else. In today's legal climate, I'd think twice about disconnecting it unless you're willing to take the risk.

As a side note, I saw something on the web that looks interesting for rear brakes. Don't remember what the address was, but if you search this forum for "custom gauges", you'll find a link to a custom dashboard pic. Something like www.shelby.net/mgirvin/dash. Delete whatever is after mgirvin and go there. It's the guy's webpage for his truck, there's a page about this anti-skid device installed in the rear brakeline. Supposedly NASCAR uses it too...

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I dont think there are any "legal" issue per se, but who knows what some idiot will make up?

Technically speaking there are cars out with push button disabling of anti lock brakes, traction control, etc. how would it technically be any different?

Since Anti lock brakes are not a "federal safety" requirement, you are legally allowed to drive your car, for your year, without anti lock brakes.