Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Absolutely, positively done with Craftsman (maybe)

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by sarasotausmc, Apr 11, 2006.

1. sarasotausmc

sarasotausmc 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Granted I'm out of town, and Sears at home is good, but....

Sears in Yuma AZ had a air compressor mismarked, could've saved $100. Cashier got the manager involved, and I lost a 10 min argument (calling someone tomorrow BTW). She decided it was an employees fault, not a corporate mistake, no budge. So I decide to get the 7 gal compressor. Well, I should have known that it was crap because the box was beat up, but took it anyway. We needed it tonight. Open it up, and the bottle of compressor oil is empty. Stopped doing what I was doing, including looking at the rest of the compressor, and go back to get a bottle of oil. Got it, dumped it in, go to put the cap on, and guess what, that's busted off with the thread in the housing. Sears of course was closed by this time so have to wait till tomorrow. I'll tell you, chinese Craftsman router bits (not worth it), crappy ratchets, yada yada.

Going tomorrow to take it back, and buying some junk from Lowes. This place has ruined my loyalty.

Sorry had to vent.

2. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

sorry to hear , never had a problem with craftsman, but all mine are 10+yrs old. seems like everything that was quality is now foreign junk. and if its not its waay overpriced

3. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

I dont buy none of there power tools as I think they are junk. I only buy certain hand tools and thats it. only there profesional type too. there old stuff is too fat and thick. there old screw drivers with the Acitate handles start to stink over the years and make that drawer in your tool box smell like crap.

4. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

...and what ever you do don't try to clean them with acetone or MEK.

5. rdn2blazer

EXACTLY! I have tried that before, not good. I wonder if the Acetate is made with some animal fats or something. every one I know that has Craftsman screw drivers has stinky handles. :haha: I guess they start to rot over time. I have started buying Snap On screw drivers or the Craftsman professional ones instead.

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I threw a fit on my Snappy guy for years cause they started going to all soft handle grips... Apparently everyone else was bitching too because they brought back the good old hard handles on some screwdriver sets...

The soft ones don't clean up well with thinner like the hard plastic ones... And you guys are crazy using MEK for stuff like that (the only thing I'll use MEK for is to reduce gelcoat), nasty stuff, even acetone is nasty compared to lacquer thinner, and thinner cuts just as well..

7. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Actually, I quit using MEK for just about everything several years ago. I try to stick with acetone or Varsol/PD680/stoddard solvent (all 3 are the same thing). Unfortunately, some of our sealers won't let go with anything else.

And I'm with you on the Snappy soft grips.

8. rdn2blazer

me too they suck.

9. ryoken

Yeah, from a guy who's been playing with all that stuff for years, even I can't stand it... It's just about as nasty and very similar to Styrene. That stuff is absolutely brutal..

If I remember right, I think Hurculiner calls for cleaning with Styrene... Screw that, I'll use denatured alcohol.... :haha:

10. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

Quick clarification MEK = methyl ethyl keytone(spelling?). Correct?
    -Kell-

11. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I kinda like the way old craftsman screwdrivers smell. They remind me of when I was a little kid, playing with sharp pointy objects while my dad worked on something.

12. ryoken

yup = nastyass stuff.... :eek1: :wink1:

13. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Yup. Also know as 2-Butanone in industry.