Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Absolutely sweet turned into absolute pile of SH!T... oh well.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PhoenixZorn, Jun 15, 2005.

1. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

So I was headed to the local engine shop because the 80 was being a dog, and I thought he could fix something on the fly for me. He wasn't there, but out of the corner of my eye, I spotted the new beast... if everything goes as planned. I drove over, expecting to see bondo under the glistenning paint, and a crappy body with all the rot expectant in Wisconsin. Instead, I found a 99.9% rust free body, a 3 inch body lift, 33 inch BFG A/T tires that have never been offroad, sunroof, SM465, 350, NP205, just plain awesome rig. The only thing I found wrong with the whole truck was a little bit of bubbly paint over the rear wheel wells and a bit of tearing in the passenger seat. Wood grain interior and a stereo also caught my eye.

So I called the guy, and he's selling it because he just had a kid, and doesn't have any more money to put in it. I mentioned the rocker panels felt like hammered paint, and he said he spent $3500 on a paint job 3-4 years ago, and I believe him... he had the whole thing restored by a body shop that used steel plate rather than bondo. I would consider this a show truck in Wisconsin. It is a 79 frame and an 82 body, which I think qualifies it for no-emissions... not that I care anyway, as I live in a non emission controlled county, but that makes it exempt from catalytic converters on the dual exhaust too.

The sticker says $2200, but just looking at it, I can tell it's worth more. He said he put about $15,000 in the truck, and I wondered why he was charging so little (but kept my mouth shut) and he said some of his friends told him he was nuts for only wanting $2200. It is still sitting on the stock 10 bolt front and 12 bolt rear, but I imagine it gets pretty decent mileage with the 33s. When I called the guy, I offered him $1000, just to see how he'd take it. He said he's firm on the $2200, and I had him take my number down in case he doesn't find anyone to buy it, that I'd give him $1500 for it. I need to get this 80 Blazer and Rolling Chassis/Engine/Tranny/T-Case out of here quick so I can hand this guy cash in a week or less. I have a feeling its going to get swept away, and I'll lose my chance to get a nice Blazer without travelling across the country to buy it.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2005
  2. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

sounds like a sweet deal, can you take out a loan?

3. PhoenixZorn

Nope... no loans... just gotta come up with cold hard cash... It'll get there soon enough... I just have to wait for the auctions to end... I hope....

I got pictures of the truck today... I'll post them after editing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2005
  4. PhoenixZorn

5. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

U better hop on that deal!

6. bavarian_blazer

bavarian_blazer 1/2 ton status

7. REDCRO_REDNECK

REDCRO_REDNECK 1/2 ton status

how does he have 15k in that?

8. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

That bubbling paint/rust is bad news...that rust is probably 10x worst than what you see.

9. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I think you should come look at mine :)

It really doesn't have any rust -- yet.

P8080019.jpg

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I agree, by the time you see anything on the outside of the truck the parts you can't easily see are pretty much done. Not trying to rain on your parade, just a heads up so you avoid ending up with a huge project you didn't expect.

Lift the carpet at the tailpan, check the lower seat belt anchor area, insides of the rockers...before you give hime a single cent.

Rene

11. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

take this advise, even in good ole arizona,

I suspect the area's around the seat belts and various sections of the rear floor to be rotted, if youare serious about finding a clean blazer thats rust free I say you gather up some cash so you have more options, rather then letting the truck you want control the situation.

hell get to a southern state, pick one up off some old fart and drive home, :D

if you can snag it for 1500 then great, just go into it with an honest and open mind about what you exspect out of the deal.

good luck ;)

12. PhoenixZorn

Thanks guys... I'm really gonna give this one a good "once over" to make sure I'm not getting screwwed again... I will definitely look under the carpet, but as I said before, with the 3 inch body lift, I can pretty much see everything. The frame is very surface rusted, but nothing looks to be rotting. I should be test driving the rig tomorrow, and I'll check the rear floor while I'm at it. Anything else specific I should be looking at? I want to look at the floor right behind the passenger seat too, since that's where my 86 was most obviously rotted out. This thing comeswith a bully bar too... I'm excited to drive it, but I'm not getting my hopes up too much. Indeed, if I can get rid of all my other vehicles, I'll be on a plane to Colorado or Arizona to find a K5... who's gonna pick me up and drive me around??

13. tRustyK5

Honestly, if I had it to do again I'd grab a plane to Arizona, or S Cali...rent a car and buy a local paper. My Jimmy is currently 99% rust free, but lordy did i ever go about that the hard way!!

At one point I snagged an 82 Blazer out of Austin Texas for $800 with no motor (but otherwise 99% complete) for $800. Of course I had to drive down there and tow it home...but looking at it from underneath it looked like it just rolled off the assembly line. Not even surface rust, tub was immaculate...

I really wish i could have built that truck...

Rene

14. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

that front clip is from an 80 or earlier; the tub may be off of a later model

15. PhoenixZorn

Jeff Thanks for noticing that... I just looked through my LMC catalogue, and sure enough, that front clip is from 73-80, so I'm thinking that he reversed the years maybe? 82 frame and 79 body? It would make sense... I'll see the VIN tomorrow and be able to see what it's registered as. I know it doesn't have catalytic converters, and it's got dual exhaust... But so did my 86... and that wasn't supposed to be that way.

Anyone know the first year for Emissions control (for trucks in Wisconsin??)

Anyway... even if that rear panel rust is all the way through... I'd likely just cut a couple inches off the fenders and reseal them anyway... Problem solved... dah... I need to stop thinking about this **** so much... need to go to sleep...

Last edited: Jun 17, 2005
  16. PhoenixZorn

So... the body is an 82, and the front clip is an 80... the frame is a 79, which makes it exempt from emissions here, but the other problems started showing up during the tour and subsequent test drive of the former "new beast."

First off, I'd like to thank everyone who told me to look in odd places for damage, rust, and wear...

When I got there, I pulled up the carpet in the back of the truck, and sure enough, it was rusted just as bad if not worse than my 86. I didn't get all the way to the seatbelt mounts... I didn't need to. There was obvious rust in other places while I lifted carpet too, as well as a crappy job of "insulating" the floor with aluminum backed 1" insulation. Needless to say, it didn't start out good.

The windows all had new weather stripping, which was good, but the rear window crossmember was installed backwards so the window doesn't go all the way up into the track. The hood was popped, and I noticed the A/C compressor was freewheeling with no belt on it, and the owner admitted it was broken andhe didn't have time to fix it. He was very honest with me about things that he hadn't done, or just ran out of time on. He replaced the left disc brakes and wheel bearing, but there was a bolt he couldn't get off on the left side that meant he wouldn't be able to fix that side at all. It still has a worn to sh!t brake pad and a crappy bearing.

The lockouts appeared to work fine, but I was not even interested in testing out the 4 wheel drive considering the clutch BARELY caught up with the skinny pedal on take off. I figured if it was having trouble with one driveshaft, it probably wouldn't like the strain of 2 of them. The engine spun at an unhealthy 3100rpm at 65mph on 33s, so I guessed that it was running somewhere in the range of 3.73-4.10:1 in the rear end. While not a problem in and of itself - I do eventually plan on running 35s - this would severely limit gas mileage on the already tired 350. It ran kinda rough from sitting for a while, but I figure it should have gone away after a while. Under the air cleaner, I found a Edelbrock intake of unknown distinction, and a stock Quadrajet. It had an SM465 and an NP205, but again, the clutch really had me worrying about going hard on the thing at all.

All in all, I'm glad I test drove it, just so I could tell the guy to his face that to equal the handling characteristics and body shape of my 86 - pre-fire - that I'd have to spend about $3000 on parts and labor (even if I did most of the work myself.) I am now looking at selling my 80 K5 locally if it doesn't go on e-bay, and I will be parting out the frame of the 86 if that doesn't sell. I will be pulling the motor, sending it back to the engine shop on my dime, and after they freshen it up, they'll sell it for me on e-bay as one of their own. After all is said and done (I'll be keeping a few parts for the next build) I'll fly my sorry ass down to one of the southern states to look at a rig that one of you wonderful friends will scope out for me, and then drive it home.

So with that... could you guys start looking for a truck for me? I would like a perfect bodied blazer, 82-91 with a non-running gas motor or running diesel, stock to 4 inch lift, stock to 35 inch tires. If it's a non running gas motor, I'll likely put my 355 in it, and if it's a running diesel, I'll just sell the 355 to save on the cost of another engine swap. Other options may apply, but I can't think of anything right now...

I can spend no more than $3000 for the truck... unless I suddenly find money, and then I will be able to spend $5000 for a really nice rig.

17. tRustyK5

That sucks, but is a pretty common experience for most of us. Everytime i see a local ad claiming a K5 is rust free I have to laugh. Unless it just got brought up from AZ, NM, TX or CA it has rust somewhere...or the guy just dropped $5K welding in new metal.

When we were at BB '03 "Paxx" showed up in his new to him '77 or '78 K5. He flew from Penticton BC to Arizona, bought and paid for his AZ K5, drove up to moab and did a little wheeling and then drove it home. I'm pretty sure he didn't pay more than $1500 and it had a pretty fresh drivetrain with a 465/205.

I'd scour the for sale boards here, as well as put up a "wanted to buy" ad.

Rene

18. PhoenixZorn

Cool... I'll do that.

19. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

shop in the south , south-west...use craigslist.com. Ask if there are anymembers that could check something out for you. If all is good, buy a
    plane ticket for $200 bucks and go pick it up.
    :)

20. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

There's a 77 K5 in the local paper here, 3 grand with new exhaust, clutch alum rims and 31" tires. Doesn't say anything bout body condition though. The phone number is 970-275-5296. I would be happy to take a look at it for you if interested. Mike