Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Absolutley Filthy Engine

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 82diesel, Sep 18, 2003.

1. 82diesel

82diesel 1/2 ton status

I was just wondering if it was normal to have a sooty gunk right underneath the air filter case. The top of the manifold is covered with this gunk and my K and N filter is already dirty as heck with only 3000miles.

It doesnt use oil less than a quart in 3000miles, and no blue smoke. But it puts out alot of white smoke for the first 20mins/10miles. Just cold ?

Thanks

2. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Just a wild guess...you have your EGR valve hooked up? Unhook it and plug the line and plug the hole where the line goes into the air filter case. The EGR takes the exhaust and recirculates it to get better mileage, at least thats what I have heard.

3. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

This "gunk" is from CDR system (similar to PCV on gas engines) allowing oil from crankcase in vapor form settle inside manifold before its drawn into the engine. Nothing you can really do about it since you will always have blowby and the CDR system is necassary to keep a negative pressure in the crankcase.

EGR has little or nothing to do with it and is there to lower Nox levels, not change mileage in any way.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    This "gunk" is from CDR system (similar to PCV on gas engines) allowing oil from crankcase in vapor form settle inside manifold before its drawn into the engine. Nothing you can really do about it since you will always have blowby and the CDR system is necassary to keep a negative pressure in the crankcase.

EGR has little or nothing to do with it and is there to lower Nox levels, not change mileage in any way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.
    Now if you happen to have a lot of blowby then you can just put a breather on the end of the line insted of letting it return to the intake.
    That got my oil conumption down a little an dmade the engine run a little smoother.