Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AC add on

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 27scrappers, Apr 22, 2006.

1. 27scrappers

27scrappers Newbie

Not something that most of you probably have to worry about but...
    I need to add A/C to a '72 Blazer that was not equipped that way from the factory. I've started looking at Vintage Air and Old Air products but could use any guidance/advice you might offer. The truck has mild 350 (20K miles), stock radiator, 4spd. Thanks in advance.

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've never had to do it but if I were to try it I'd be looking at smaller cars systems to see if they could be adapted. K5 systems are big and you'd have trouble squeezing it into an early truck I think.
    A set up from a car may be small enough to fit up easily. Then make up some ducting inside. It could be a good time to convert to serpentine too.
    Vintage air etc would be more straight forward but I think they're expensive aren't they?

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I think the aftermarket kits are the way to go.

IMO you will very likely spent near the same $$$ cobbling together used stuff, paying to have the bad pieces replaced, and get the system charged and retrofitted with modern refrigerant.