Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AC advice

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by azgmc, Jul 24, 2000.

1. azgmc

azgmc Registered Member

AC has been going out in my '89 for the last year so I took it to the shop to have it checked out.

Long story short, I need a new compressor, dryer etc etc for $985. $985 seems steep to me. Are these parts something that I can replace myself and then have someone recharge with freon.

Any advice is appreciated.

Matt

2. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Holly buckets dont pay that much!!! I have the same problem My compressor is gone and I need a new dryer. I called O'Rileys auto parts they have the compressor for 125$ exchange and the dryer was only like 30$! Plus you can convert it over to 134 and buy the freon there! you could do it your self for a fraction of that it is not hard at all!! Just be sure to put on new O-Rings but there is maby 10$ at the most...

3. Eric78K5

Eric78K5 1/2 ton status

I'm going to go by Sears Autocenter and check out there a/c service for my 78. If I get a good price from them, I'll let you know.

4. turbo

turbo 1/2 ton status

Northern Auto has the best compressor prices I have seen.

5. Nate87k5

Nate87k5 Registered Member

If you have a Haynes manual or Chiltons it will show you step by step on how to remove and intall everything on your A/C system. You can get a rebuilt compressor from Autozone for 125 with exchange. If you condessor is out check around for a used one. I picked one up for 70 used. Not sure about the rest of the stuff you need. Make sure that you replace and oil(ester) all O rings that you come across. Also might be a good idea to replace the orifce tube/filter(very easy to change). If you are going to put R12 back in you are going to pay alot for it(about 40 a lb). You will have to have the system flushed/vacuumed and refilled with about 3.25lbs depending on the year of your system. If you decide on R12 make sure that they are filling it with that. Some shops will replace your system with a cheap R12 alternative and not tell you. Trust me been there. By the way what shop did you take it to in AZ?

6. CruisinK5

CruisinK5 1/2 ton status

My advice to you is to convert it to 134 especially if you are going to replace the compressor and the dryer. R12 is expensive and becoming more and more rare. You can by the parts and install them and then have someone charge it up, and for a whole lot less than those people quoted you. It is not hard to replace those parts either.

"Have you driven over a ford lately?"

7. windrider

windrider Registered Member

My friends a mechanic, and when he coverted mine to 134a he changed the filter dryer added an orfice and a high presure shut off switch. I thought he had a little over $100 in parts and about 1 1/2 hours labor.

8. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

I went with r134 but have been told that a product called durocool is superior I also have a listing at work of the better products to use r66 was listed more effficiant than r134 ill check it out

9. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Yes you can do it yourself and have some one evacuate/ charge it for you. The big thing is to buy a GM recon compressor...Checker sells them for around 2 bills. I do not recommend R134a....it sucks. It does a good job in the semi's i work on but they have a condensor the size of your hood (some of them) and the engine fan which takes 15 to 20 horse to spin will knock your hat off. I would bite the bullet and have R-12 put back in or seek out a reputable drop in which has a smaller price tag per 12 oz. If you are going to do it yourself i recommend also that you change every o-ring in the system and both schrader valves which by the way are not the same as the ones used in your tires! This will prevent future problems. While you are at it - and seeing that you live here in good ole sunny Az. i have some tips and tricks that will help you out in the cooling area.

And the reason i say to stick with a GM recon is because they last bar none..i went thru 3 cheesey Autozone $59.99 repops in one summer....never again. My GM recon has been in the truck 3 years now with out fail!

AZBLAZER

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban