Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AC/Belt Vibration Problem on a Carbed 86

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AntAZBlaz, Jun 9, 2003.

1. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

Hey

First off hello to everyone it’s been a while since I’ve been on the site.

Here is the background. I have an 86 350 carb from the factory.

Here is the problem when I turn on the truck on everything runs smooth. When I hit the AC the belt for the compressor starts vibrating up and down hard. When the engine is off I can check the belt for deflection and it only moves about ¼ inch when you press on it hard so I don’t think that it is caused by a lack of tension.

I have noticed that when the idle is set lower the vibration increases. When I crank up the idle the belt vibration decreases but then I end up dieseling when I turn the truck off.

So what can I check for to get this problem worked out?

Thanks for any help.

King

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

bent compressor shaft?
    this is a good question.
    Grant

3. Doug M

Doug M Registered Member

Mine does the same thing, I've heard lots of others do it as well. It has ran fine that way for at least 6 years now, no problems.

4. KShortell

KShortell Registered Member

My 1986 Suburban does make a noise, too. Here's the scoop from a post I made on another board a while back...

"Yeah, a dull moan, right? It's the drive pulley for the compressor. It's "normal" and nothing to worry about. Mine's done it for years now. However, there is a "fix" for it and was posted here a while back. Essentially, it's a matter of swapping out for a heavier pulley.

Found it!

In reply to:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With warm weather just right around the corner, I felt now would be a good time to address this problem. When I got my truck, the A/C system would make a strange moaning and vibrating noise when I used the A/C. I found out there was a TSB addressing this issue. This covers '85-'88 light duty trucks and vans with the R-4 compressor using a regular drive belt. If your truck is experiencing this problem, get p/n 6552402 compressor pulley. It is heavier than the original and it will take care of the noise. Replacing the pulley requires special tools, so when you get the part, I would let Chrevolet or an A/C shop put the part on for you.

1987 4x4 Shortbox Stepside
    www.picturetrail.com/87BlkStepside "

Hope this helps...
    Kevin
    /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

5. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

thanks for that message, i tried doing a search but i wasnt to successful. i'll try looking up how much that part costs thanks.

6. kp texan

kp texan 1/2 ton status

Sorry to dig this old thread back up but it I've been trying to track this part down and I've found out that it's a GM discontinued p/n and that only 2 dealers in Texas have one! The price on the new pulley is $115 so I'm not sure if it's worth it to fix this annoying noise. Do any of you other guys currently have this same issue?

Thanks,

Wes