Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AC clutch engages when turned OFF

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tx_sub, Apr 7, 2006.

1. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

My air conditioner compressor clutch is engaging when it is not switched on. At idle, it clicks on for a bit, then off. even when it is disengaged, it turns very slowly. Do the clutches fail engaged or disengaged? As an interim fix, is it safe to pull the connector on top of the compressor? And what is the root cause of the problem? I have not done much investigating as of yet. [Its been a long week]

Also, after I shut down the engine, is sounded like pressure escaping until it bled dry after about a minute.

I await your counsel.

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

is your selector in defrost? if so it uses a/c to remove moisture from air so window dont fog over. and the sound when off is normal.

3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

What he said. GM (I think chrysler too) engages the AC clutch when in defrost mode. 1) it helps defog window faster. 2) it engages it during times of no use (liek winter time)to keep the the system from drying out

If it's not in defrost, then you have some problem.
    You can pull the clutch wire connector off, it won't hurt anything, aside from the clutch will never engage, obviously.

If you think you have a leak somewhere, you can attempt to diagnose it yourself, if you don't think you can handle it, take it to an ac shop. You need some ac gauges (pressure gauges high and low), and a special bottle of freon that has a dye in it so you can see the dye leaking out somewhere where it may be leaking.

Does the AC work?

4. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

I think you hit the hammer on the head. I turned the defrost on the other day and never changed it. I didn't know it did that. It sure seems to hork up my idle, but I have other problems that contribute to that. Thanks for the help.