Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AC compressor leak.....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by heavy4x4, Dec 25, 2002.

1. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Well, I had the dreaded mystery fluid on my driveway this morning (what a christmas present /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif) Well, I wasn't about to pull out the wrenches today, but I did figure I'd locate the leak. I popped the hood and noticed fluid coming from the back/bottom of the ac compressor (the unit driven by the serp belt). The fluid was dripping down the front surface of the engine and collecting in a small puddle on the driveway. Not a constant leak now...seems to have stopped...but when it was dripping, I could hear hissing...like it was under pressure. The compressor, if I recall correctly, is run when using the defrost mode (which I had been, yesterday). So, onto my question...has anyone had this problem before, or does anyone know what I should look at first tomorrow??? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    Oh yeah...and what is this fluid anyway...is it refrigerant??? Harmful??? The unit does have the high pressure lines going to it. I'm not planning on bathing in the stuff, but is it harmful to deal with (or is it just coolant?)

2. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Sounds like your R4 compressor expired....that fluid is refrigerant oil...not harmful.

Azblazer

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the reply. Does that mean my compressor is shot? How much are new/reman units?

4. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

The compressor will probably cost in the neighborhood of $150to$200 to buy, but it requires special refrigerant equipment to work on the system legally (R12 refrigerant). you need the system discharged, the compressor changed, and the system pumped down and refilled. It would probably be a good time to switch to R134A refrigerant, it will be a lot less expensive than the R12.

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Yep, now is the perfect time to convert it.

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help. I called the local parts store, and they said the R4 compressor is $205. But, looks like I won't need it after all....well, yet anyway. I drove my truck around a bit this morning, and no more leak coming from the unit to speak of. I'm hoping it was some weird little fluke that has now gone away, but I'm sure it will be back...eventually.

7. Sandman

You might have lost the pressure in the system and now it wont leak anymore.

8. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I agree...if it needs changing...I'd love to go with the alternative refrigerant. BUT...Wisconsin has some crappy laws about refrigerant, and for some reason (if I remember correctly), the one metioned is prohibited for use in Wisconsin. (If it's the stuff that can be bought in a spray can type thing, then yes, that is illegal for use in Wisconsin. Don't ask me why /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif)

9. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    You might have lost the pressure in the system and now it wont leak anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's kind of what I was thinking. The defroster still runs strong...I tried it out this morning. So...I'm clueless as to what happened/whether it's going to happen again later on. I didn't try the AC (plenty cold outside /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif), but it hasn't blown super-cold air for years anyway.

10. Sandman

looks like you can forget about it untill spring anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif