Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AC conversion

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ddawg, May 30, 2002.

1. ddawg

ddawg Registered Member

I just wasted $115 at the auto shop just to find out my AC compressor is leaking. The mech said he could do a temp fix that "MIGHT" get me through the summer for $200 plus $70 per pound of freon. He really, really wanted me to go with the conversion to the new stuff (R-131 ?) to a tune of $900 plus. My questions to you guys: what's needed to do the conversion? Can I do it myself or does a qualified tech gotta do it? What is the best I can hope for in the cost department? I have seen convertion kits at the part stores but I'm not spending that wad of $$ without a little education first.

2. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

hmmm, they had a real interesting article in my july(?) edition of chevy high performance on ac conversion. if i had a scanner i'd scan it (i'll check around at work). i'd say check here, but the site isn't working at the moment.

http://www.vintageair.com/vintage.htm

3. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

conversion and a refill should not cost anymore than 200 bucks at an auto shop...sounds like you need a new mechanic! and the new stuff is r132a.

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

It's R-134a.
    -- Mike

5. Mr. Jimmy

Mr. Jimmy Registered Member

There is also a replacement called Freeze 12 that is compatible with R 12. NAPA auto parts carries this for around $9 a can, works great! I noticed Walmart now carries an R 134 kit with gauges and freon for around $ 34

6. COLLISION

COLLISION 1/2 ton status

Worst case would be needing all new o-rings on the fittings and a new accumulator(reciever drier),

We charge 90.00 for a retro kit(all new seals and valves), evacuate old freon, replace drier, And recharge with r134a.
    total cost plus labour usuall around 400-500 canadian dollars.

7. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

yeh, i'm a little leary about some of those conversions?? from some people i hear all you have to really do is evacuate the system and change all of the "o rings", and put in the new stuff, i've also heard that this does not last long. i've also heard that you need to change some other parts as well. but i did get those pages scanned if your interested in reading it?? i might host it on my web site for a day or two?? anyway, have fun and let us know.

8. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

I found out after much research about Freeze 12 is that it does work with your current system but is extremely flammable... the 134 conversion should be done with a new receiver/dryer, evacuate the system and new oil.. I ahve heard rumours that the 134 conversion doesn't cool as well as the old stuff... it's a toss up.. fortunantly I live 10 miles from Mexico so I can get the r-12 for about $4.00 a can install it in the vehicle in Mexico...

9. Rainmaker

Rainmaker Newbie

First of all fire the mechanic you're using: he's ripping you off. He should have used air compression to check your system for leaks before you dropped $115 on freon.

Secondly, I just went through what you're doing about a month ago. I had a busted A/C assembly hose on my '87 K5. The hose cost me $105 to replace. I bought a new compressor for $125 (rebuilt). You need to get a new orifice tube ($3). You supposed to buy a new accumulator/dryer every time the system is opened (around $40). The retro fittings will cost you $9 at Walmart. I had a certified GM mechanic A) flush the sytem with the appropriate chemical ( I bought) B) vaccum the system out for 3 hours C) put on the new hose, orifice tube, dryer, compressor, retro fittings and charge with r134a ( I supplied the freon - he had the oil). He charge me $150 labor. All in all I have about $450 in the whole deal and that's with all the new parts and me buying the chemical flush and the freon.

$900 sounds crazy. I'd look around more.

10. mlb79

mlb79 Registered Member

I know this isn't the right way to do things but I simply pulled my compressor and changed the oil, hooked the whole thing back up, charged the system with 134a. Now after you get done laughing, I have had 45 degree air for 3 years, this will be the fourth year and its still working fine. I guess I just got lucky, but it worked!

I had about 20 bucks for the 134a and maybe 4 bucks in the oil. I think I used up all the luck I had on that one.

11. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

12. GMMANIAC

GMMANIAC Registered Member

I just recently did my conversion to R134a and couldn't be happier. I'm a Mercedes technician by trade but a diehard Blazer guy. I've come up with a couple of tricks that will make your system cool better then R12. Just a suggestion stay away from the freeze 12 and Auto Zone. E-mail me if you want and I'll give you the details. "cyclemoe@stic.net"