Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AC/DC power inverter

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

My dad bought me a Coleman 800 watt power inverter. The manual says not to hard wire it to the truck? Why is this? I imagine it might drain the battery. How can I hard wire it and not drain the battery?

Any recommendations on where to mount it? Thanks

Harley

2. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

I don't know about Coleman but we have a 1500 watt Vector on my wifes GMC Safari that we use for the Playstation and such and it's wired directly to an accessory thru a relay so when the ignition is turned on the inverter kicks in.. Had it since 2000 and no drainage probs yet.. The ground has to be as short as possible tho'

3. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Put a switch on it. You can also use a relay that is wired to an ignition wire and it will only work when the key is "ON". Be careful as that inverter uses 67 amps in 12V for a 7 amp toy in 120V

800W/12V=66.66666A
    800W/120V=6.6666A

4. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Coleman 800 watt power inverter

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw those on sale @ Checker. IIRC, they wer $49.99. I changed my mind, though, cause Pep Boys has one for $99.99 that is 1200 watts.

Anyways, I was told the best thing to do was hard wire it to an acceptable switch. Then you can just hit the switch when you need to use it.