Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AC Delco Parts Made in India?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jim burke, Mar 2, 2005.

1. jim burke

jim burke Registered Member

I needed a new radiator cap for my Blazer and figured "I don't want any of that Auto Zone crap, I'll get one from the dealer". The guy (at the dealer) brings the part out from the stockroom and it's made in India :eek1:. Huh? Is this something new? It looked okay, but I was a bit "disappointed" (annoyed). Any idea if it's as good as the US-made stuff? When did GM start doing this?

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

Gm had been making stuff in different countries for years. ON newer trucks there are tons of parts made in other countries.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I bought a GM battery cable that had "Made in Taiwan" on the AC Delco box about 3 years ago.

Quality was garbage compared to the piece I was replacing. Not even close to the same design.

4. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

When I did my 383 I bought my flywheel and damper from the dealer (I can get the employee discount). The damper was made in India, but my machine shop said it fit better than any damper they have ever dealt with (including tons of aftermarket stuff). My L31 vortec heads were made in Mexico. Get over it, everything is made to GM specs and is made cheaper because it is made outside of the US. Nothing wrong with it, except it is made outside of the country.

5. jim burke

It may be cheaper for GM, but I don't get the impression they passed any of the savings on to me...:frown1: :mad:

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i just had my first bad experience ever with AC.. had a bad power steering pump out of the box... couldn't believe it... i had just got done raving about AC parts.. no biggie had another sent over and it was fine... go figure...

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I just bought a set of Melling valve springs. Yup! Good old USA company been around a long time. Got them, and the box had Mecho en Mexico stamped on it. LOL Its a global economy.
    Bought motor mounts from India. They looked more heavy duty then the old stock ones.
    Let see........ AC delco Distributor modues Mecho en Mexico
    The list goes on and on.
    I really dont care what country parts come from anymore. As long as they work.
    I just bought a fan clutch for my K5 from china. My parts guy set it next to one made in USA. The one from China was heavier, looked and felt better built and was 10.oo cheaper.. He recomended that I buy the cheaper one from China because they got the ones Made in USA back all the time because of problems.
    Just because it is made in USA does not mean quality anymore. Most of the stuff is made in mass production by low paid people who dont speak english anyhow. So what is the diference?

8. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

For a few months I worked at a local company that is a wholeseller for auto parts, ac delco was a large line they carried, one day I got a chance to meet a rep who was in town, he said that for years ac delco has been reboxing parts, its nothing new, also ac delco is slowly going out of the picture and delphi or what ever its called is gm's new line for stock replacement, everything else he said is just repackaged.

sad, but that is how america works, I can accept that now:(

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yep....

AC Delco is crap now. Just a name. Most aftermarket parts are FAR superior. OE parts are made to last the warranty period. Aftermarket are made to last a lifetime....

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The problem with new parts is quality control. Really has nothing to do with where it was made, or the people making it, only how well the part is designed and produced.

Sheetmetal is a good example of this...more often than not aftermarket sheetmetal doesn't fit as it should, and that is a quality control problem, not production.

As was mentioned, you'd *HOPE* Delco, GM, etc., would pass the savings on to you, but instead, GM pockets the difference from what I've seen.

11. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Which is what pisses me off in a way. Take jobs away from Americans, even though they CAN afford to pay them a higher salary compared to what they pay overseas, so that a few people at the top and shareholders can make more money :mad: No need to make a superior product that sells very well and makes lots of money when you can take the old product, have it made overseas for less money, and then charge the consumer even more. Oh well, only thing you can do is be that guy at the top...or a shareholder ;) :D

http://www.krazyk5.com

http://community.webshots.com/user/trcksr4me
    http://community.webshots.com/user/trcksr4me2

12. ncbloodhound

ncbloodhound 1/2 ton status

I understand what you are saying, but corporations are not in business for the benefit of their employees. They are in business for their shareholders.:waytogo:

13. ncbloodhound

ncbloodhound 1/2 ton status

The stock transfer case on my 90 K5 says 'Made in Japan'

14. jim burke

I'd be more confident in the quality if it was made in Japan. **IMO**, Japanese stuff is generally well-made (yeah, like everything else, there are exceptions). Pretty much every product I've ever seen that was made in India (I'm hoping the radiator cap is different) is utter crap. Even Chinese-made products seem to be better than the stuff made in India.

15. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I agree that japanese made stuff is usually high quality. Look at Browning, most of their guns are made in Japan (depending on model) and they are all great.

16. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I hate greed....

I dont begrudge any company from making a profit--but when they hurt our economy by sending our jobs overseas,depriving american workers and making cheap crap produced by slave labor just so they can get rich faster,while we suffer the ill effects of inferior products doesn't cut it with me--the NAFTA and other "free trade" agreements were the worst thing that could have been done to our economy and job market..

I hate buying anything "Made In____(anywhere but here)--but the sad fact is there IS no other choice--and I wonder what is in theese parts,since most of the other countries hate our guts and would love to see us americans dead,I woul not doubt if some of the parts are DESIGNED to fail and cause bodily harm or death!--Like ball joints made of powdered metal,or other critical parts like steering and brakes--"counterfit" parts is a huge problem in the auto industry..
    -
    -Do you think the parts like wheel bearings with "Made in Pakistan" stamped on the box are as good as ours made in the U.S.??--since terrorists are looking at every possible way to kill us,I think the parts factories overseas should be scrutinized VERY closely--wouldnt be hard to snuff out a few american lives by selling brake pads made of plywood or other crap,would it??--And I dont think they would shed any tears over it either,knowing they sold us defective parts that could be deadly...Even if all it did was shorten the life of your vehicle,its still unnacceptable..:crazy:

Call me a bigot,racist,whatever--I prefer american made products over all the other ones--even though we dont exactly have a sparkling reputation for quality anymore either,at least it was made within our own borders,by an american who needs the job and money....:blush:

But for the record,my quonset hut garage was made in Canada(Brampton Ontario)and most if not all of my trucks have a maple leaf on the door sticker!--I have no problem with Canadian workmanship,I have had no complaints with their products--its the stuff coming in from the Middle east and China and Mexico thats got me worried...:(