Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AC Delco Rapidfire plugs...opinions?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Burbinator, Dec 31, 2002.

1. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

The time has come for a routine tuneup. I have always used AC Delco plugs, but these Rapidfires seem to be better from what I have read so far. I'll be running them with SplitFire's "dual-mag" wires (thanks, eBay for the 75% discount!).

Any of you run these plugs? What do you think of them and are they worth the extra couple bucks a pop?

TIA...

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I have found no difference betweeen these Rapid fires and some cheap-Os. I am still running some Cheap-O NGKs (I think) for $.99 each for the last two years.

The real question would be - what is the condition of your engine, induction, and ignition.

If all this is good, almost any plug will do.

If your engine, induction, or ignition is not quite what you expect, you might be better off with some softer materialled Champion plugs. As the softer materialed Champion plugs will be less suscetible to fouling than almost ALL the harder material other plugs.

/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. Burbinator

My engine, induction and ignition are all great. The truck runs fine...I do a tune up once a year or so on my vehicles, replacing wear items, whether needed or not. Plugs, wires (every other time), cap, rotor, clean the K&N, all fluids, etc.

At twice the cost per plug, I would probably rotate the plugs to every other year like wires to recoup the cost differential.

I might try them just for kicks...

4. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

My parts guy (Kragen - take it for what it's worth) suggested these Truck rapid-fire plugs to me. The look interesting enough.

BTW: If you want better gas mileage make the gap close .02

If you want a little more power open the gap .02 - .06.

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

5. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

is that gap stuff true, or is it a bunch of malarky, my plugs are gapped at .035, and that is what is recomended /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif.

6. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

is that gap stuff true, or is it a bunch of malarky, my plugs are gapped at .035, and that is what is recomended /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

7. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

The Plugs are junk! I ran them in my 1984 K10 and noticed that the power was less than the stock A/C Delco plugs. Put in Regular Delco plugs, you will be happier. Also, everyone that had tried them and bought them at my local parts store complained about them and they don't even stock them anymore. I hope this helps! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

WHOOPS! I missed a decimal place. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

.002 and .006 changes! Sorry.

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've been thinking of getting the Bosh +4 spark plugs. Anyone tried them yet ???????

10. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Speaking with quite a few different people and different types of cars, ALL multi-electrode type plugs will only make a difference on weak or insufficient ignition systems.

In other words, if your ignition system is setup correctly and is running at normal you will not see a benefit to multi-electrode plugs.

If your ignition system is weak somewhere (bad wires, weak coil, etc.) you MAY see an improvement.

Good luck.

11. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I've been running them for two years. No difference.

12. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Tried some in my old mans '89 Jimmy after a top end rebuild. Ran like crap, the arm burned off #7 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. Running platinum ACs in the '83 now. The R44 equivalent. I'm running a carb and MSDed HEI and the plugs like a nice shade of tan. Best looking plugs I've ever seen to be honest /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I run Rapidfires in all my cars and I love them. I have a set in my 86 S-10 Blazer, my 92 Yukon, my 79 TA, and I had them in my old 92 Firebird and 88 LeBaron. All different types of engines from stock to heavily modified and they are great. Never had a problem with them. They're all I use.

14. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I've tried the fancy plugs now and then and I have never noticed a difference. Well, there was a difference in the price. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

15. Burbinator

Thanks everyone for the input...

I did my own "real world" test New Year's day between the Rapidfires and regular AC's...zero difference. The regulars actually seemed better after 100 miles of using each. With zero difference, why bother shelling the extra bank? Perhaps longevity with the Rapidfires is better (?), but I change too frequently to give that possible element any credit.

So...the regular AC's are what stayed in and the Rapidfires, well, my neighbor needed a set of plugs for the 350 in his Heap...

16. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

GOOD CHOICE ON THE PLUGS! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif