Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AC fan problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cbbr, Jun 28, 2006.

1. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I started to charge the AC. Neither the front or rear fan will switch on (Seperate switches). THe compressor switches on fine, and the dash switch seems to be working. Fuses (in the fuse block) are fine. What to check next?????

2. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Make sure the blower motor is working. Test the blower motor hot connection with a test ligt to see if it is getting power. If it is then I would suspect the blower motor is bad.

3. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

What year is the truck?

There are really only four different components in any blower system: control switches, relays, blower motors and blower motor resistors (well... and wiring). The only thing that is common to both front and rear fans (as far as I know) is the power feed circuit. Maybe the relay.

Nothing in the a/c system should affect the fan motors, so you either knocked off a plug somewhere or the power circuit is dead. In this case, a test light is your friend! Check for power at the motors, like 1-ton said. There might be a fusible link somewhere that popped, too.

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yep. Thanks guys. I took the test light to everything from end to end and it turns out that the harness between the switch and blower was not making a good connection. The switch tested fine and the connection from the switch tested fine, but the connection was bad between the two. Cleaned it all and put it together and I'm cool again, so to speak.