Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AC/Fan problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Low76K5, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Low76K5

Low76K5 Registered Member

Hello,

A couple quick questions for you knowledgeable types.

#1-My AC is wimpy. Is the stock AC in a 76 worth trying to recharge or do they just not work very well?

#2-The minute I switch on the key with the heater controls set on "off" the heater blower fan turns on at a very low speed. Should I try replacing the control box? The underdash stuff is all stock and untouched.

Thanks,
    Scott

Blazer good pic.JPG

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

when my a/c in my 75 was still there, it blew ice cold.

the fan will blow 100% of the time even in the off position at a very very slow speed, its just how gm wired it. they are all like that

3. Desert Yeti

Desert Yeti 1/2 ton status

Yep, fan is always on if the key is on, even when switched "off".

It's been my experience with several different 70's GM vehicles that when the AC is working properly, it's nice and cold, although the volume of air moved by the fan leaves a bit to be desired when compared with newer vehicles.

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

#1 - Before you spend $$$ on an R-12 fill, you might want to have your system leak-checked. It would suck to pay the bucks for a recharge, and end up leaking the refrigerant into thin air.

#2 - As the others said, it's normal.