Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ac/heater blower doesnt blow... Where do I start troubleshooting?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dasanii19, Dec 7, 2006.

1. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

Topic say it, my ac/heater does not blow at all when I turn it on, I have no idea where to start looking for the problem besides the fuse. Any ideas?

2. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

Do you have power at the motor itself? Start there and work back if the fuses are good and there is power leaving the blower motor switch.

Also check the resisted pack on top of the blower housing in the engine compartment. They are notorious failure points.

3. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

Thank you, I will start there and post back with what i find. I hope this is a simple fix.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Check that the plug for power on the housing is not loose or fell off completely, it's common, also the resistors inside the box like he said.
    :D

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've had this problem on two of the K5's I've owned. There is a ground wire at the blower motor that corrodes and the connection dies.

Rene

6. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

Ill check out all this stuff after work today.. Thanks

7. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

Well I atleast got it to blow and am getting heat, but its not blowing that hard. Also it seems to be having trouble activating, I mean when the lever is in the off possision I have to very slowly start switching it on (im talking about the upper vertical heater a/c lever), if I dont do this it wont work (meaning wont blow at all, I just get nothing). Sometimes it takes a few tries to activate it..

Anyone know what is going on here?

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Spray some WD40 in the sliders area, you have oxidation on the contacts.
    Or you could change is, but I would just clean it.
    You can take it out and clean the contacts and put some contact grease and it will perform flawlessly.
    And if it's not blowing as hard as you want after you fix that sliders, then you could change the blower (easy job) and get the HD blower.

9. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

sounds easy enough, ill start by cleaning the sliders up. I would like it to blow harder. Is the HD blower the actual name of the unit I need to get? can you get the HD blower at any napa/ ac delco auto part store? How much am I looking to spend on the HD blower?

Thanks, very helpfull. Everything seems to be coming along smoothly (knock on wood)