Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AC is out!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MountainMan, Jun 5, 2003.

1. MountainMan

MountainMan Registered Member

so the ac has gone out, specifically the compressor. the shop is telling me 1100-1300 to fix it an recommends retro fiting to the new type of systems that use the cheaper freeon. (they say cost is the same to retro or simply fix)So that tells me i am not going to have AC for a while /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

wanted to check with you all... do i have any other options? or is the price they quoted sound wrong?

thanks ALL! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

3. MountainMan

MountainMan Registered Member

good info, thx... is that thread telling my i could do this myself for a few hundered bucks /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

it doesnt sounds like a easy job, but sheesh, 1200!!!

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Yes...that is exactly what it is telling you. At the minimum I would replace the compressor by myself and take it in to have it recharged.

All the work that I did didn't even take me a full day (and I work slow and took a 1 hour brake for lunch while the system evacuated).

5. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

Around $1000 is the going rate here for a 134 changeover and a new compressor. If your compressor is shot I would look at that route. 134 can get almost as cold as the R12 if it is done right. One thing to remember is that the 134 will leak gradually through your existing rubber lines since its molecules are smaller than the R12. You could look at putting some "barrier" hoses on to correct that. If your compressor is shot I would consider the retrofit. I had it done one my /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif and am fairly pleased even though they didn't tell me about the lines leaking issue /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif. I would try to do some of it myself. You could have the shop evacuate and flush and you change out the compressor, orfice, dryer, evaporator and lines if you decide to. It's really easy but a little pricey to get R12. You can take the test, which is open book, online now and get certified instantly for $15 here http://www.macsw.org it's in their online store. You can pick the R12 up on ebay cheap. My /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif quit cooling good a few weeks ago so I just picked up the R12 and topped it off.