Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AC light blinking?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by Dieselmh, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

Here's the trouble I'm having with my DD, it's a 1991 Chevy Extended cab truck with the TBI 350. The AC light blinks every time I turn the truck on. It's the little light on the panel that tells me when I have the AC turned on. When I start the truck, the AC light will blink for about 5-7 minutes, then go off. The actual compressor doesn't turn on, just the light. It's not a big deal since I rarely use my AC, it's just annoying, and after about a week of this, I can't take it anymore! Just wondering if any of you have seen this before, and may know what's causing it. Is it a warning of trouble to come, or just something that needs to be reset? Thanks for the help.

2. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

It seems like I remember my mom's 92 Blazer doing that one time. Try disconnecting the battery cable for a couple minutes and see if that fixes it.

3. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

I tried disconnecting the battery last night for about 10 minutes, but that didn't help. Thanks for trying.

4. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

It's telling you that your low on freon. You either are just low, or have a crack in the system somewhere.

5. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

Sweet! I was wondering what it meant. Since I don't use the AC, I never knew it was low! I guess I'll see if it's leaking or just low, if it's a leak, I'm just gonna learn to ignore the light! Thanks.

6. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

If its low, it's got a leak.

7. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

I thought that all systems kinda "lost" a little bit of freon over the years? It's a '91 truck with 250,000 miles on it, and I've never done any kind of AC work on it. If it's got a leak, it must be a really small one. I'll take a look at it.

8. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

If you dont care about the AC you can trick the sensor so it does not blink any more. Just put a jumper accross it. At the same time, unplug the compressor so it does not try to fire up when you turn on your defrost.

9. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

They do, but it's because it slowly leaks out. Freon is not used up, and will last forever as long as it doesnt leak out of the system. However, most cars develop leaks after a while because of the many fittings and harsh conditions.

Most leaks will have oil around them and can be found with with a mixture of soap and water. They will usually be around connections or in the compressor itself.