Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ac problem.. need help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tagurit, Jun 25, 2002.

1. tagurit

tagurit Registered Member

Got an 81 and the ac just stopped working about a month ago. If I try to switch it on, two fuses blow on the panel, 1 for the heat, 1 for the ac. I replaced the left hand side switch on the control panel but it didn't fix it.

I'm pretty sure the compressor is still working because before the fuses started blowing everything was cold... just no air was blowing out of the vents.

Need some clues as to what I might check next (and where that part might be located on the truck). I'm not that good at finding things on my own, haha.

Thanks.

2. StonerK5

StonerK5 1/2 ton status

AC is for wimps /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif , try the 3/40 method. Works for me, and I live in AZ /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    try the 3/40 method. Works for me

[/ QUOTE ]
    Whats that, stuff 3 40oz beer bottles down your pants.... /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

4. GMMANIAC

GMMANIAC Registered Member

You might want to look at the wire going to the compressor and make sure it's not grounding out. Also check the blower motor, sometimes they will draw too many amps for the fuse to handle. If the fuse is blowing insantly then I would guess an electrical short. You should check the wiring by the accumulator for shorts.

5. tagurit

tagurit Registered Member

Any idea what I'll spend on that wiring? The entire section doesn't look to be in the best of shape. Guess I'll price the wiring from the compressor to the accum

And yes it blows the fuse as soon as the ac is turned on. I can hear the compressor click once and that's it.

And thank you, GMMANIAC, for giving a straight answer.