Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AC problem....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by btolenti, Aug 11, 2004.

1. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

ok,
    mt AC is on the blink. When I put it on, the compressor cycles on and off constantly (on for 1 or 2 seconds, off for 1-2 seconds, then on again, off agin, etc)....and it never gets cold. The Compressor is also extremely hot to the touch even after just a minute or so of "cycling"

Do you all think this is just a lack of Freon or a bad compressor? It also makes a lovely squealing sounds when it is on...

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

First thing I thought of when it short cycles , is freon level . Find someone with gauges and look , or stop by a pawn shop ( they always end up there ) and get a set cheap /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. blazup1x

blazup1x Registered Member

Sounds like its low on freon and a clutch going bad! Hey it sounds just like my unit. Check on ebay there is a guy selling reman A/C's for your Blazer for $25 I ordered one for my self seems like a good deal.

4. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The squealing sound is probably the bearing going bad, and the constant on - off cycling (as already stated) is probably low Freon causing the high-pressure cutout switch to activate. I would say you need a rebuilt compressor.

5. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

How reliable are the remanufactured compressors??? Do you all think Napa has the best parts???

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    How reliable are the remanufactured compressors??? Do you all think Napa has the best parts???

[/ QUOTE ]YOu will probably spend less buying a brand new pump from Napa. I have gone through 2 napa premium rebuilt pumps in 2 years. I have spent more money in buying freeon and having the system flushed and recharged , acummulator dryer & orifice tube,if I would have paid the extra $120 for a new pump and just did everything else once.