Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AC question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wedgeindy, Apr 22, 2003.

1. wedgeindy

wedgeindy Registered Member

Was working last fall, isn't working now.

When turning it to A/C, no cold comes out and the hoses under the hood don't feel cold. Compressor doens't kick on. Unplugging the low R12 switch off the ???condensor??? still doesn't allow the compressor on.
    In addition, if I turn it to max AC, I don't hear the fan change sound (whe it starts sucking air from inside the cab instead of outside).

Sounds like a switch problem to me, not a charging problem (yet...).

Q - Is it normall for the AC slider switch on the dash to go? Am I over looking something more obvious (fuse??).

Tony

2. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

im having the same issue, kicks on and off for me, and no cold air when we jump the compressor to have it on all the time, im gunna see if there is lots of crap in the condenser box perhapes. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

You need to find out why the compressor isn't kicking on. First I would put it in defrost, the a/c compressor should kick on. If not, then I would unplug the big connector on the Accumulator(round silver tube with the low side service fitting and low pressure cut out switch.) Once you unplug that, you need to jump the terminels on the plug side, this SHOULD make the compressor kick on, if it does, then you most likely have a leak causing low pressure. If the compressor still wont kick on, then you have a wiring problem, I would look closely at the terminals on the pump itself, if you have a volt meter I would check to see if you have voltage at the connector. I've never seen the controls in the dash go bad but I guess it could happen. You could also have bad clutch windings which would not allow the clutch to engage. I'm seriously betting that you have a leak and are low on r-12. Do what I said and you can PM me with your results, I'm pretty good with a/c systems and I'm certified to work on them so I'll do what I can to help. Good luck
    Ben 87 Jimmy + 89 Blazer
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

pressure was good on mine, just kicked on, then kick on again, off on, off on off on, in traffic with the thermostat on off it would do the same, maybe i will take all the connections off and clean everything up nice and good, and gunna buy a R-134a conversion kit this summer, i get so pissed at getting into a hot truck after work at the school district after a hot day in a school and not having a working climate control. i do know that my condenser dripps too, so that is working, its just not getting cold or anything. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif