Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AC removal. Help?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shaggyk5, Mar 17, 2002.

1. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, im looking to tear out the unneccesary AC stuff from my engine compartment for the sake of cleaning up the clutter. It dont blow cold, and i never use it anyway, (thank god for removable hardtops..) So basically its in the way. What I need to know is what can I tear out without affecting the heating system? id like to do this in the next few weeks. Any help you guys can give would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Yea, you can rip it out w/o affecting the heating system...I have ripped my AC out and heat works...But I am going to be replacing my heater/AC box (the big friggin one the takes up a bunch of room) with the heating box from a non-AC truck (they are much smaller) I think Dorian Yeager chopped up his box to make it smaller but I am just gonna rplace the entire box...

Chris

3. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

did you tear out everything right up to the box, and then plug what was open?

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I got a non AC box from a s10 blazer and I'm gonna see if I can make that work...

5. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

hmm, that sounds cool, they ARE a bit smaller, maybe down the road. For now im just looking to tear off the crap that is not absolutely neccesary, without modifying much. Removal only at this time./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Well if you want to take off that huge box you'll have to do something, thats where I'm at now I have removed the pump and the insides of the box but you can't take the box off due to the fact that it covers the air deflector thing and with out it you will only get cold air and do not disconnect your defrost vacuum line or no defrost, man was that a pian in the butt to hook back up/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

7. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

ok, Let me clarify. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Im not looking to remove the box yet, but i want all the rest gone. Pump, compressor, hoses, etc. i was just lloking for tips or things to watch out for in removing that stuff. The box itself is staying (for now). Thanks man.

8. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

I did exactly what you're wanting to do recently, and it's easier than it looks, to be honest. Took me less than an hour to yank all the parts and put everything back together.

9. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Oh yea...make sure your AC system has been discharged before you open up the system...you could just use those concave plastic caps to plug up the evaporator core...Just yank the compressor, hoses, accumulator and condensor...you will be surprised how much room that frees up...

Chris