Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AC removal..........MIXED messages?? WTF

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, May 20, 2006.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

It seems I get a 50/50 mix of oppinions on this. I have the old R-12 AC. I want to remove my AC components such as compressor, evaporator, and condensor to shed some weight. Some people tell me that I must find a heater box from a non AC truck. Others just tell me to unbolt my compressor, condensor, and evaporator and I'll be good to go. I definitely want to keep the heater. So why would my heater not work if I just removed my AC components?
    thanks,
    James

2. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

It will work fine just removing the system....I removed mine 10 years ago and havent changed the box that is under the hood... I would get caps for your lines so if you decide to re install it like I'm looking at doing to mine I need to find the AC bracket...

3. 78Suburban

Cool. So what all components did you remove?

4. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

i removed my compressor and condensor with no ill effects. hell, removing the condensor prob helped me cool a bit better.

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, that extra 25,,,maybe 40 lbs of compressor and condensor weight sure helps out on a 6000lbs truck.....

leave the AC alone, and use it

6. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I removed the Compressor, condensor, Dryer and lines... I removed all mine because of Valve cover clearance and body swap.....

7. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

lol i ripped mine out cuz it was a pain in teh ass to mess with the PS pump.

my junk never worked anyways.

8. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

+1 on that reply. :waytogo: I would never own a vehicle that didn't have AC. Like 4xcrazy said, that extra few pounds ain't gonna make a bit of difference.

Last weekend a friend and I ran Box Canyon, went up the Martinez Mine trail, turned off and went down to the coke ovens, and then ran the Battleaxe trail back to highway 177. It was pretty warm outside, but I had the AC blasting the whole time so we were nice and comfy. I suppose that is why I get puzzled when folks here in AZ quit wheeling in the summer... :confused: :D OTOH, this does have its benefits - the trails are a lot less crowded on the weekends. :haha:

9. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Yeah Id have to agree, if thats your only reason to get rid of it then thats pretty retarded... Now if it doesnt work then maybe you have an excuse..

10. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

This is the ONLY reason i would rip anything out, and with the Burb fighting me all the way at trying to get it charged and running correctly, i am just about fed up with it.....:mad:

Spent too much money already though to just give up...

11. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I'm getting ready to rip mine out and it works fine. I don't really think I need it on a truck that sees limited street use. I owned the truck almost 4 years and think I used the AC once when it was still stock. If I lived in someplace like Az. or it was a DD it might be a different story.

12. 78Suburban

It blows cold for the first one minute the truck is cranked, and after that it's really just like its blowing room temperature air. I want to use this trucks for trails and mud bogging only. Down here, when people make a mud boggin truck, they GUT it.. Take everything that ain't nailed down off, to shed some lbs. I know the burb weighs alot, but I'm sure I can remove a good bit of weight if I put my mind to it.

13. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'm ripping mine out on my DD... Well, the condenser and compressor are gone already... But I have the non AC box assembly from my 77 up in the attic that i'll eventually put in..

My reasoning behind it? clean up the clutter.. simple is good... funny how my power everything, AC, etc 87 is manual doors now, hopefully tailgate soon and eventually clean up the firewall with a much simpler "heat only" box..

I never used the AC anyway.. I like having the windows open.. Probably used to years of no AC...

14. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

I ripped mine out and it worked perfectly. I do not like A/C to begin with, the hotter the better, give me 100 percent humidity and I am even more happy.

15. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

agreed. im goin with a pickup tailgate sooner or later. my window doesn't work and i wouldn't mind sheddin a couple pounds back there.lol

16. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

amazing how heavy that sucker is...

I'd love to go truck tailgate..:thinking: :thinking:

I need weather protection tho..... :thinking: :thinking:

Softop'd have it handled in the summer... :thinking: :thinking:

Want to still be able to run a hardtop in winter...:thinking: :thinking:

anyone have pics of a hardtop modded with a flipup plexi/lexan setup? maybe a truck cap window?

17. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

As i said, if it doesn't work or work right to begin with, and you really don't need or want it, then rip it out, no biggie, either way, it's your rig, you do with it what you want.

I personally,,,,,living in the middle of hell central,,,,,hate to see a perfectly good A.C. system go to waste, especially when i am trying to get mine working and it's fighting me all the way to the parts store, the bank, another paychech, ,,,,,you get the idea :p:

You don't plan on ever using it, try to sdalvage parts, cap off the ends as soon as you remove them to prevent contamination, and try to sell them, somebody may need another hose assembly or your compressor.

18. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

What problem(s) are you having?

19. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

well the first time, it blew warm, but after i tore it apart this time, i realized i installed the O-tube backwards.

Dissassembled the whole system, flushed it out, reassembled it, vacuumed it down for about an hour or so, installed the R-12 freon,,YES R-12, got the pressures up to about where they are supposed to be,,,started blowin cold air out the vents,,,,i was thinkin COOL !!!! (literally):D

THEN, the very bad sound of a big hiss,,,,i look out at the engine, and the compressor had just let go, something in the back leaked everything out.....

i was :mad: [​IMG]:mad: [​IMG]:mad:[​IMG] :mad: [​IMG]:mad:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] . . . . .

Last edited: Dec 10, 2006
  20. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

I just found a can of r-12 in my garage...from benny, dont now how long ago though. price tag say 1.99:eek1: try getting that now:rolleyes: