Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AC Removal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazinit, Nov 29, 2001.

1. Blazinit

Blazinit Registered Member

I am planning on taking out my AC unit as I live in Washington and the rig doensn't need it, it has a top that comes off, what were the engineers thinkin? Anyways, could someone please help me...I don't know if I can just remove the belt and the AC motor or is there something else that I am overseeing?

'84 K5 Blazer 4"Rancho R/B w/Quad Diamond Back front 350/TH700r4/NP208/35" BFG AT/10 bolt F&R
    Washington, USA

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Not sure why no one responded...you can pull the AC compressor off, the condensor, and the lines, all pretty easily. If you do some cutting, or 'yarding, you can either get the right non AC power steering bracket, or just cut the exisiting AC brackets down so that they still support the PS pump.

I think one of the reasons my 350 runs so well (195 exactly all the time) with the two core radiator is because the condensor is gone.

That stuff all removed makes it a bit easier to get around under the hood, but the main space taker upper, the AC box, is a bit more difficult to remove. But if the AC doesn't work, pull it. If it does work, you might as well leave it there, it doesn't rob hardly any HP when you aren't using it. I'm in W.Washington too, and you are right, we don't need AC : )

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Make sure you have the system discharged first, before you start ripping the guts of the system out. The compressor, condenser, and accumulator all come out relatively easily...The A/C box it a little bit tougher but you can do it without too much trouble [​IMG][​IMG]

<font color=red>1987 Blazer K5, 4" Rancho Lift, 33" BFG AT, Dual Battery setup, AND MORE TO COME [​IMG]
    Was that a speed bump? No, just a Rice Rocket </font color=red>

4. Anteak

Anteak 1/2 ton status

Is the defrost run off the A/C and will it still work if you remove the A/C? If not, how can you still use the defrost?

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You still have defrost, it just doesn't "dry" the air before it hits the windshield. maybe in some parts of a country thats a problem, here, I just need heat to unthaw the windshield sometimes.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

6. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

You've got mail. PM'd you

87 K5, 427BBC,D60 & 14BFF, NV4500, NP208, TSM disc's,

7. Slayer

Slayer 1/2 ton status

Eastern Colorado, jokingly referred to as Western
    I cut my AC belt one day, in a fit of rage, and then waited about 2 months before I ripped all that crap out. And it was already discharged (one of the reasons for the rage, as freon was going for prices almost higher than gold) and I didn't want to convert it, as I don't need it in Colorado. Just unbolt all the crap, and yeah the defroster still works, it just takes a bit longer as the air doesn't go through the dryer. And it does free up a bit more horseys as that pulley isn't being dragged about.

<font color=blue>I don't know everything, I just think that I do.............</font color=blue>[​IMG]

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

haha i left the belt for last infact i forgot about it, man that was a close one after running the motor for acouple minutes... [​IMG]

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

9. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

first thing i did when i got my blazer through inspection after buying it was tear out everything a/c related and clipped the smog pump belt...the previous owner decided the emmisions equipment wasnt needed so the pump was pumping air into a whole series of disconnected hoses... i could really feel the extra power once i got all the crap out...any little bit helped the 305 i had at the time

10. Blazinit

Blazinit Registered Member

Thanks for all your help guys, doens't look like it'll take up too much of my time to get the extra HP:-) If I don't shave the AC bracket down, it'll take 10 minutes (once i measure and get the right length for the new belt!)

'84 K5 Blazer 4"Rancho R/B w/Quad Diamond Back front 350/TH700r4/NP208/35" BFG AT/10 bolt F&R
    Washington, USA