Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AC Swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by skink4president, Jul 1, 2005.

1. skink4president

skink4president Registered Member

Rumor has it that I can swap out my old (and HUGE) AC compressor and bracketry on my '73 K5 for a smaller, later model setup. Has anyone done this swap? Any advice?

Thanks!

2. dallassnowman

dallassnowman 1/2 ton status

I just had my ac charged and checked for leaks by my mechanic buddy at his shop. He told me I have the good compressor, the really big one. Said they are low cost to replace and out last the other pancake model. Just what I know. :)

3. Boondocks

Boondocks 1/2 ton status

I've done the VintageAir swap in my 72 K5.
    But it sounds like you are talking about later model GM parts.

If you are interested in the VintageAir conversion let me know.
    I don't know what they offer for the 73 and later though.

4. skink4president

Yeah! My current compressor can be replaced for under $100. The guys at the parts store couldn't believe it and thought it must be a mistake. I only want to swap it out to lighten things up and go with the later model bracketry which (I've been told) will allow tall valve covers. Also, I don't know if you've noticed but the OEM compressor is VERY securely fastened to the engine. There's like four different brackets and a dozen bolts!

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

My compressor is cheap too , I have the radial r4 , the darn clutch ( all I needed ) was 85 dollars , the whole thing with clutch was 89.00 . Now old one sits on shelf , couldn't bear to pitch it its original :D

6. skink4president

Boondocks -

Are you happy with your Frontrunner system? What about the other stuff from Vintage AC? I assume you weren't replacing an existing system but rather starting from scratch.

I really need to get my existing AC up and running and while I'm at it I'd love to clear out the old brackets and pulleys but I'm a little tentative about spending well over $1,000 for the Frontrunner system. Also, where'd you purchase?

Thanks for the advice.