Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AC system

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by smprider112, Jun 21, 2004.

1. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

I just bought a new ac pump for my truck, old one siezed up...anyways what all is required to get it to work?? Where do I get the coolant that goes in it?? I have seen those recharge kits for sale b4, will those work?? I know it uses r-12, but I also hear that is hard to come by, will the other stuff work, just not as good?? I really need a complete walk through on this project. thanks /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

First off you will need to replace the accumulater dryer (silver canister near the fire wall), orifice tube that is inside the high side line coming out of the evap. New oil and make sure you flush the system thuroughly to get all the metal chavings out that was released by the blown pump. Then get the system vacuumed down and recharged. I wouldn't go for R12 because half the time you will have a leak anyway or something will go wrong and it will require more freeon. Ask about a freeon called FREEZE12, good stuff and is nonflammable. R134 works OK but to get it really cold you will need a new 134 condensor.

Oh, and there is no coolant that runs through the A/C system. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

3. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

Anyplace special I can get this stuff from??

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Any Napa or Autozone carries all the parts. I use Napa.