Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AC to Non AC conversion

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by cybrfire, Dec 16, 2002.

1. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I have an 85 blazer with the air conditioning heating system. It is all messed up and don't really want it anyway. I have a 82 non ac donor pickup. I would like to switch it all over. Has anybody gotten this deep into the heating/cooling system? What problems might I encounter? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Considering cutting out the dash steel to simplify and weld back in later. Does that sound crazy?

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

You can take all the non-ac stuff of the '82 and swap it into the '85. Just do it.

Be careful and take your time. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

It's easier to make a plate to cover up the AC cutout. You can't just swap it out, there are a few things in different locations, which is why the AC firewall is different, and you need a plate to cover it with.

Anyways, the plate isn't anything fancy, just some thin sheetmetal either screwed/sealed in place. I used the inner heater box studs to retain mine.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

We're about 90% done this conversion on my Jimmy.

We took the inside box and heater controls and wiring from the donor and bolted them up. The heater core lines come out the old AC hole. Then we made up a cover plate for the old AC hole with two holes for the non AC heater lines.

A new hole had to be cut into the firewall for the air to blow through the Non AC set-up. We used the donor trucks firewall as a guide for the location and size of the new hole.

It's not a terribly difficult swap but it has been time consuming to do it so it doesn't look like a butcher job. Stripping out all the vacuum control crap and altering the wiring takes time...

Unfortunately I didn't think to take progress pic's as it was being done...

The firewall certainly looks much cleaner now!

Rene

5. dyeager535

6. tRustyK5

Is that an oddball Dorian? My heater motor for the non AC doesn't have the motor cooling hose like my AC motor did...

Rene

7. dyeager535

Heavy duty heater option /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. tRustyK5

Funny how the Canadian parts truck we got doesn't have that...you'd think anything built specifically for this country would get those standard!

Rene

9. dyeager535

You would think ALL of the K5's would have had this "option"!

Cars without AC in the 80's got the same setup, (same AC motor with coolingtube) and didn't have an "option" for a HD heater, even with a much smaller interior than the K5's or Suburbans. So more cab area, and a weaker fan. Smart.

The motor is simply an Air Conditioning motor, with the smaller "standard" heater squirrel cage fan on it. (the AC fan is "deeper" and won't fit the non AC boxes, HD or not) Just spins faster. I'd *guess* 15-25% more air movement, you can definitely feel the difference. If the truck isn't up to absolute full temp, high is worthless, it moves so much air it cools you off.

You can run an AC fan in place of the "stock" Non AC/Non HD fan to test, just won't have anything to hook the cooling tube up to. My dads been running his like that for a few years, apparently not a huge deal since it isn't dusty around here, and he doesn't wheel hard. I'd bet an aftermarket breather for valve covers could be fitted for a dust/water/mud filter.

The HD heater setup isn't real hard to find, but the heater control head is different and so is the inner heater box, at least compared to SOME of the non AC/non HD heater option boxes, might be year dependant. One less vent control on the HD option, believe there is no "recirculate" cable/door. You can just wedge it open with a screw though.

The fan speed switch is setup with off (actually turns off), low, med, and high.

10. tRustyK5

Cool stuff Dorian. Thanks for the info. I'll just stick with the heater fan set-up I got.

On another note my buddy broke the squirrel cage on the non AC fan last night and didn't think it was a big deal. He assumed the AC squirrel cage would fit. When it didn't he was pretty flustered about it...til I told him to check the 75 Olds beater outside for sh!ts and grins. It was a non AC car and the squirrel cage was identical.../forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Sometimes I love GM...

Rene

11. cybrfire

Thanks all for the info. Sounds about like what I am expecting to see. Definitely looking forward for more room in the engine compartment. Big block coming soon.

12. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

13. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Thanks Slick. That's just the pictures I needed to see. I pulled the complete heater box system out of a pick up (HD Heater too!). I want to axe my AC. Seem to get alot more heat out of a Non-AC vehicle (even a 6.2). /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Did you change out the vent system under the dash too?

14. tRustyK5

I know on mine the vent system for the defrost matched up with the non AC stuff perfectly.

Rene

15. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Thanks TRust. I'm paint my jimmy next week (finally!). That includes replacing both front fenders. With that much clearance I'ld be a fool not to pull the AC box at the same time. I wasn't going to attempt it before 'cause of the time factor, but now I'll go for it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. cybrfire

Thanks for the pics. Those help quite a bit. I think I will go ahead and pull the fender to do this also. Looks like it would be a much easier way to go about it. I am pretty new to this forum but I am really enjoying it so far. thanks to everybody.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. tRustyK5

The one thing that was a bit of work was the heater controls. The non AC stuff is all cable controlled instead of vacuum. We removed all the AC controls and swapped the cable stuff in it's place along with the wiring.

Have fun!!

Rene

18. dyeager535

Oh yeah, don't forget the kick panel vents! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

AC ones are vac controlled.

Non AC trucks were manual pulls, AND they had an extra kick panel vent on the drivers side, AC trucks had no vent there. (at least on my '86 cab)

19. tRustyK5

My kick panel vents have been disconnected for so long i just never bothered swapping the pull vents in...

Rene

20. dyeager535

I wasted money buying the drivers side vent for my truck BEFORE I even looked /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif