Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AC to non AC ?s

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazinzuk, Sep 19, 2006.

1. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If I just cut the huge box all the ac stuff came in to just house the blower motor will it work. Do I need to be able to house the door on the firewall also. I am trying to get all my ac stuff off the firewall without buying a whole new heating system.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I have a heat only box , needs a heater core . They are different , and so is the firewall hole . The heater hoses are farther right on the a/c truck . I don't want this box . You going to BB06 ?

3. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

I've got all the parts as well. Including kick panels in brown or grey. Yours should work. Maybe a little funky. If you want to go stock PM me.

4. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Thanks guys but I think I am going to try to mod my blower box to work on it. My reasoning is that in every non ac truck I have been in the heater seems to not work as well as the ac trucks. I could be totally wrong here but it has just been my observation. If I run into any problems though both of you guys will be getting pms

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Do it right, remove all the AC stuff and put in a non-AC box. It will look like crap and be ten times more difficult than doing it the "right" way.

They don't seem to be as effective because the STANDARD heater blower motor was not the same as the AC AND the HD heater options, (which do move more air) which was the base heater setup, with the AC blower motor and a vent tube added. (you can run the AC blower motor on the standard box by changing the squirrel cage and either leave the vent open to atmosphere or making a small filter for it)

Again, the effective difference was all in the fan/motor, nothing else. A HD heater setup works just as good at moving air as the AC setups.