Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AC with Headers

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by robg, Oct 4, 2001.

1. robg

robg Registered Member

Does anyone here have headers with the stock AC pump? IM about to install a new engine and would like too possibly run headers. I have seen a listing for a bracket sold by headmen for the AC pump, I’m not sure though if this works on are trucks. (72 Blazer 350/350) The other option is 2 ½ cast iron exhaust manifolds have seen these talked about but not sure where to pick up a set, anyone know a GM part number or something.
    IM going with the GM Performance HT383 I noticed that the vortec heads have a duel bolt pattern for the forward most bolt on the exhaust. Anyone know if this is a problem with the cast iron (stock type) manifolds
    Thanks in advance for any info provided.
    Robg

2. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Rob, a buddy of mine has headers with factory A/C in his '72. All that is needed is that auxiliary bracket to support the back end of the compressor.

3. robg

robg Registered Member

Thanks Steve Wasn't sure if anyone was going to anwser.

4. JST12

JST12 1/2 ton status

Does the HT383 have a short water pump or long? My ZZ4 had a long water pump so I had to scrap the entire stock compressor mount system( I chose not to switch to a short water pump). There are a couple aftermarket sytems which mount a smaller Sanden 508 compressor with headers if you want to go this route instead of stock massive compressor. I can send more info if you need it. JT

5. robg

robg Registered Member

JT

The HT 383 does come with a long water pump, But im going to swap to the short pump because thats how it is now with all the stock pulleys etc. The bracket for the AC pump bolts to the passenger side exhust manifold but it appears that headman makes a bracket for use with headers. I might just try to find a set of the 2 1/2 corvette manifolds as to keep it simple. Not sure if it will choke the the engine to much. Any body have a lead on a set of these, GM Part number or anything.

Thanks for the reply.
    Rob