Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

acceceries wire help

Discussion in 'Audio' started by balzer, Jul 31, 2000.

1. balzer

balzer Registered Member

i just bought an 83 gmc jimmy and i just had it painted and i am redoing the whole interior and installing a sound sytem, it had a wal-mart special tape deck in it, with two sparkomatic 6x9's which had to go.i just bought a jvc cd-player, the one that flips down and you put your cd in, a remote (i dont know why i need a remote but it sounded appropriate at the time), color display, the works, and two JLaudio 15"w4's and a 750watt coustic amp, and two memphis 6x9s. the person that i bought the truck from had ragged it out horribly butt now it looks like a different truck but anyways he had it wired where it had a power wire straight off the battery and just turned the radio off when he got out of the truck. but i want to wire it where, you turn the key off and it shuts off, i know you have to run a wire from the accecories on the fuse box, or thats what i have heard, i just dont know how to do this, butt i know how to hook everything else up.
    any info at all would be greatly appreciated.
    thanx

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

The head unit (JVC in your case) has its power coming from the fuse block (PROBABLY). It is apparently hooked into a "hot" fuse (one that is always on) as opposed to what you want, which is a "switched" fuse (one that turns on with the key). Experiment a bit - find the power wire from the head unit and trace where it is getting its power, then move it to a switched circuit. SHould accomplish what you want.

<font color=black>'79 K5 - 406 w/IROC TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>http:// www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

3. istallion88k5

istallion88k5 1/2 ton status

For the wire you are talking about you can splice it into pretty much any wire that leads to something that only comes on with the key in the on position, not to hard at all.

If it aint a Chevy don't raise it up!

4. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Hmm this may be a little late, but the stock wiring harness should still be in there. When you find it, take a meter with it on volts dc and hook one up to a ground and with the ignition off start probing wires. When your meter reads around 12 volts, you have found the constant hot wire. This one hooks into the radio to keep all the presets, the clock, and all your settings. Then you need to turn the ignition to accesories and then find the next hot wire. This wire will be the one that lets the radio have power when you have the key on. Hope this helps. If you have any questions email me. - Doug Krebs

Doug Krebs