Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Accel Dist - need info/advice

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by crawlink5, Mar 4, 2004.

1. crawlink5

crawlink5 1/2 ton status

I have an Accel Distributor model 46100a. It doesn't show up at the Accel site. I sent an email asking them about this model. I don't think it is a current model.

got it from someone at work and it looks fairly new. HEI style plug wire prongs but not OEM replacement dist. said it was good for 10000 rpm which means race. It seems to have a mech advance as I can hold the gear and turn the rotor slightly - no vacuum advance on it. It also has the port for the mech tach option but not the insert for it - that's optional. Has two wires coming out of it.

I will be hooking it up to a Jacobs ignition that is currently running with an OEM HEI dist.

Question: Has anyone run this model and how will it run on a DD?

I used to run a race car on the street with a mech advance only and it ran well. But I was hitting as high as 10,000 rpm with it occasionally. It was a long ways from stock and didn't idle and didn't get gas milage.

I also ran one with no mech or vac advance but it was computer controlled (Mallory).

Thanks,
    Doug

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

WOW! An oldie, but a goodie!! If my scanner worked, I'de load the "new for 92" page for you!! Thats what I used to run in the race car. Yes, good for 10,000 rpm. I liked it BECAUSE It had roller bearings on the main shaft instead of a bronze bushing. Mag pick up only. But without vacuum advance, street driving will be affected. I drove my race car on the street, But driveability was NOT an issue for me!! 484/nitrous/pwergide/t-brake/4,500 stall conv/31x14.5 slicks/S@W ladderlink rear suspension. Not really a good street set up anyways!!

3. crawlink5

crawlink5 1/2 ton status

Maybe I can get an advance computer for this? The one I ran with no mech or vac advance did great on the street.

Do you know if the 46100a has a mech advance?