Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Accel HEI good or bad?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigJohnson, Feb 6, 2001.

1. BigJohnson

BigJohnson 1/2 ton status

Has anyone had any problems with Accel ignition parts? I am thinking about buying an Accel replacement HEI distributor. Northern Auto Parts has one for $102. Is that a good price?

Thanks

2. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

Bad, stick with plain old GM HEI, It has worked teh best for me, I had an accel piece (of horse stuff) for awhile and never did work right or as good as reuglar HEI

Theres No Replacement for Cubic Inches!

3. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I've always have had excellent luck and have been very satisfied with Accel products. My old truck had Accel's 300+ ignition, distributor, coil and wires. I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again for a street or low rpm vehicle. Prefer MSD for my drag cars. Actually just installed MSD's offroad ignition, coil, and wires in my Blazer. like the multi discharge and low rpm output, plus got a good deal. Stick with MSD or Accel and you should be very happy.

1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

4. BigMan

BigMan Registered Member

I'v had an acell distributor. Nothing special, basicly it's just a stock unit. If you have the money buy an msd distributor. Otherwise I really like the summit high output distributor I bought for my car. Then I put the msd mofual in it, that thing worked really good. The madual makes all the difference.

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

What are the advantages to the MSD module? Does it offer multiple spark? I assume that it uses variable dwell and a higher output than a stock module? I have always liked the idea of the module because it only replaces the things that need replacing

<font color=blue>5-lugs: The sign of true weakness.</font color=blue>

6. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

I bought an HEI "bluprint" series large-cap HEI for my truck and it's had no problems whatsoever. I also had an accel coil on it, which has also survived water/mud baths.

Squash
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash>http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash</A>