Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

accel HEI super coils.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fordslayer383, Feb 7, 2005.

I was just wondering about accel hei super coil and performance module- my buddie wants to get this for his bone stock 350. will this gain any performance and gas milage? and will regular plug wires (8mm) handle the added voltage???

1. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

I am running one on my 86. It does provide alot better spark than a factory HEI. I am debating on whether or not to install an MSD 6Al box now. As for an increase in mileage/horsepower.......................No.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm sure it'd be a upgrade over stock, but I've always went with MSD. I've consittered Jacob's electronic, but the majority here said MSD was better. I do like Accel's shorty spark plugs when running headers.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Unless dealing with a serious performance application, IMO the ignition system doesn't need help.

Some people claim better idle resulsts, but you'll notice that HP claims aren't made by the manufacturers of the ignition stuff. Any difference noticed is going to be from replacing worn components.

New plugs/wires make a world of difference if they need replacing.

4. so you could add and accel module and hei super coil with no problems on a stock engine

? will 8 mm wires handle the incresed output?

5. dyeager535

I've never heard of any problems resulting from upgrading stuff. The way wires are made anymore, I doubt you'd see a problem with any ignition setup out there.

It's just not going to be any more effective on a stock engine than stock ignition. Either you ignite the mix or you don't, that simple. Bad plugs or wires prevent that from happening consistently, thats where the difference is made.

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I personally would just leave the distributer stock with a stock 350. The 8mm wires would handle the aftermarket parts fine. I have a Proform high output HEI coil and didn't notice much of a difference.

7. dyeager535

Yep. Typical swap article...change 30 things, and see a gain, but no idea what was the largest contributor to the gains because there was no comparative test between each mod.

They mention the advance mechanisms weren't working, thats a huge difference. Bad advance mechanisms/bad timing curve is going to hurt power whether you have 1 million volts going to the plugs or 30,000.

IMO that 1.5MPG IS a big difference, so I'm not sure what they are a talking about there, but in any case, they had actual physical problems that weren't cured by changing elecronic components.

8. thanks for clearin this up!:grin:

9. dyeager535

And I should clarify, if you are thinking there are ignition problems, it never hurts to strip the distributor down and make sure the advance mechanisms ARE working...they do tend to fall apart at this age.

I know my advance stuff was in BAD shape, although after fixing it, there was no discernible difference in performance!

10. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

As for size of wire, I believe it has more to do with the sheath around the wire than the actual size of the core.

11. Canada Kicks Ass!

12. M-1028

M-1028 1/2 ton status

You have to be carful on some later model HEI's because they came with ballast resisitors to regulate voltage going to the distibutor. Some of the after market ignition parts don't come with a resistor and you might burn it up over time. So be careful.