Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Accel HEI

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JTB, Dec 12, 2000.

1. JTB

JTB 1/2 ton status

I plan on swapping an HEI into my 70 Blazer. The Accel looks decent for the price, does anybody have any experience with the Accel HEI?

Don't drive it unless it says Chevy!

2. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I used to have Accel spark plug wires, but they were shot pretty quickly. That makes me think Accel doesn't do high quality stuff.

I replaced my complete HEI distributor a while a go with a Summit Racing one. It included a 46,000V coil. So far no problems. If you have the money, get an MSD distributor.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Accel is junk in my experience, get the MSD and save yourself the headaches!

Rene

[​IMG]

4. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I had an Accel HEI supercoil on with my stock HEI distributor, but it burned out in about a year and a half. I think that it worked better than the stock coil (which is back on now), but I'm not really sure how much. I still have dreams of a multiple discharge setup, but it is really hard to get stuff more reliable than stock.

"If it aint broke...Make it work better!"

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Most of the hot rod rags say that the stock GM HEI is very hard to improve on unless you're building an engine that redlines on the far side of 6,000 RPM. That's when the stock unit starts to fall on its face.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

7. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

I've got one in mine and am very happy with it. It improved reliability, idle quality and ease of starting compared to the old stock HEI distributor I had in it. Plus, one wire hook up makes it pretty darn easy. It's also a good starting point if you want to upgrade later.

8. K2500

K2500 Registered Member

I had one in my '79. Had to replace it twice. Once because it ate the cam gear. Second because the vaccum and mechanical advance didnt work like they should. I replaced the Accel with a reman OEM. Havent had a problem since. If you have the money and want to go up from stock, I would take rene's advice and go MSD or Mallory.

<font color=blue>UGLY TRUCK CHAMPION 2 YEARS RUNNING [​IMG]

9. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

After spending like $250 for my blueprint, i got an OEM one on Ebay and rebuilt it for ~$60. For 5000+ rpm and hi-cylinder pressures (i.e. if you have lotsa HP), you'll want to get hi-po coil AND module.

I have a friend with a moostang and he burned up an accel ignition box in about a month. I've used an accel coil with great success, never failed me in 4 waterlogged years of mudding.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash