Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Accel Products

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84CUCV, Jun 24, 2005.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I am looking at some of there stuff for my 98 and my 80 p/u. I have heard good and bad. Any of you have some of there stuff? Like it or hate it?

thx mike

2. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I use the accel supercoil, cap and rotor, and plug wires. I don't notice any difference, just got em because they were on sale

3. scubahard

scubahard Registered Member

I use their Cap and rotor. I like them. Summit has the set for $20. Local Auto shop had it for $40! I was thinking about getting a set of their wires, but I went with the MSD set. MSD was $10 less. I think, with all the Accel wires you have to mess with terminating the end of the plug wire. This is a nice feature if you need it, but a little annoying if you do not. I still think the factory can crimp it tighter than I could. I noticed a pretty nice performance increase from these three items.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've got accel do it yourself plug wires, good stuff IMO, bought them because they were the only ones in a non-gawdy color and they weren't too pricey.

I've heard horrible things about their fuel injectors though, so they must have some sort of quality problems, just haven't seen them in my plug wires.

5. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

wires, rotor, and cap are fine but i personally stay away from anything to technical they put out. nothing to back it up though execpt rumors

6. google

google 1/2 ton status

Rotor and cap here also. I did notice a huge gain in power, but my old setup was LONG overdue for a change and I also replaced the ignition coil with and MSD at the same time.

7. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

OK thnaks guys i will buy some parts when i have some extra cash.

mike

8. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

For wires, I like Taylor Spiro Pros. About $40 at Summit. Coils/ignition I like MSD... As far as caps and rotors, something good with brass contacts. :D Plugs - NGK or AC Delco.....

:thumb:

9. gambit420s

gambit420s 1/2 ton status

i have one of their hei distributors for a sbc and it works great and only $30-40 more than reman from parts store, i just pulled the motor and its still tight no vertical play in the shaft but when i put a new coil in it i couldnt find the same one that came in it, i think now they make one though

10. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

I have heard good and bad as well. Most of the bad was for injectors though. My only persona experience was with their coil for TPI motors. My buddy bought one new from summit to replace his old one, and the motor wouldn't run. Put the old one back on and it ran fine. Bad coil from the factory..... I have run their Billetproof series distributor and Super coil in my old truck with no problems though. Seems to be hit or miss. I would have to say quality control issues.

11. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I second that, I had one of their coils and its demise led to a baseball bat after a very frustrating troubleshooting session

12. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Most of their non EFI hard parts are now rebadged Mallory krapola. Their old products were far better, but when Mr. Trashket bought them they dumped all of that.