Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

accel supercoil?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1BadK-30, Feb 6, 2007.

1. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

I searched and really didn't find a answer, I have a accel cap and rotor HEI kit on my 78-79 350. I heard its supposed to create better spark and performance, is that true? Just trying to figure if its worth the extra change then the stock unit.

Thanks guys.

2. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i have one and can't tell the difference.:D

3. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

Yaa, from what im finding its like half get performance and the other half dont see any.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Accel coils had a pretty good reputation awhile back, not sure anymore, so perhaps when yours quits (if ever lol) then "upgrade". Otherwise I'm with the "can't do any better if stock is working right" crowd.

5. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

A factory HEI is a very good ignition system. Other than possibly starting faster or burning off more fuel if you are running rich or overcarberated you won't be able to physically tell the differance. I usually use an MSD with the stock HEI coil. I just put an MSD coil in because my factory one went out. The reason is that I may not feel a power gain but I know I am getting a bigger spark as well as multiple sparks per revolution of the motor, therefore burning off more exess fuel than the factory setup.

6. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

its been on there sense 1991, Sense i recieved the truck im just wondering. I thought the 30 bucks was kinda pricy for a cap and rotor.

7. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Ditto.

8. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

I got the super coil on mine and it made a big difference, but I was also going from points to HEI, so that alone is a big difference. Before I switched I had the points type super coil and couldn't tell a difference.

9. damewood

damewood Registered Member

accel coil

i have had 2 bad experiences with them,so i shy away from them anymore

10. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'm not a huge Accel fan.. They had gotten to be a company living off their name.. similar to Champion...

Tho they have come out with some new offerings in recent years, so that suspicion may be unjustified...

Either way, I don't think there's an ignition company out there that compares to MSD... I went from mallory stuff to MSD years ago and have high confidence in their stuff.. Not that Mallory was horrible, I just really like MSD's products...

11. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

the cap and rotor are not worth it.AC Delco baby.:bow: cheap and last longer. the accel plugs are garbage.:haha: do the still make those plugs???:laugh:

12. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

Not sure, It's allways had Delco plugs in it.

13. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Mr. Trashket bought Accel somewhere about '98 or '99. They dumped nearly all of the worthwhile Accel Ign products & re-badged Mallory crap with Accel labels. Guess they had to sell it somehow.....

Maybe in the days of points there was a need for a super coil on a mild engine, but these days the stock coil will do a danged good job.
    If the HEI has a performance issue it's the module, not the coil.

For the money I'd rather have a Crane HI-6 than an MSD 6 since those come with the rev limiter built-in instead of as some hokey, oversized add-on box. And the limiter can be adjusted with a small screw driver, no parts to buy!

For wires I've found Magnecor to be much better than MSD wires. We once had a serious EMI/RFI problem on work's dyno and MSD's 8mm wires made no difference. MSD's 8.5mm wires didn't either. Put a set of Magnecor's on and the problem disappeared.