Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Acceleration problem?????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rick, Feb 11, 2003.

1. Rick

Rick Registered Member

I got a problem, my truck seems to lose power after 65 you step on the gas and it makes alot of noise but it don't move, it even downshifts, at low speeds its perfect, we've checked the timing and there's no black smoke so I don't think its getting flodded, anyone ever had this problem. Thanks in advance for you're help

2. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

weak torque converter is my first guess

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Are you positive your timing is good? Lack of performance at higher RPMs generally means you've got too much timing into it. If the advance bushings are worn out in your distributor it can be a real bitch to time properly.

What is your timing set at right now? When's the last time you popped off your distributor cap and checked if everything is tight and properly operating?

4. spitfire

spitfire Registered Member

My brother has an '85 and it has the same problem. We were told it was his overdrive gear in his 700-r4. It sucks. There is almost no throttle response on the highway.

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Just so you know, brother, OD in a 700r4 is not for performance, it's for steady cruising. If your TV cable is properly adjusted, a 700r4 will kick down into drive at about 2/3 throttle. It sounds to me like his tranny isn't gearing down when it's supposed to.

Also, gearing can play a big role. What gears does your brother's truck have?

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Fuel filter?
    How long has it been since you changed the fuel filter ?