Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Accelerator cable replacement - 87 Chevy Suburban

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wadinator, Jun 13, 2003.

1. wadinator

wadinator 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, I'm finally gonna replace my accelerator cable in my Suburban this weekend. The old one is getting really sticky.

Are there any tricks, pointers, or things to watch out for when doing this? I've never done this before, so I'm hoping that the "how- to-do-it" will become more obvious when I have the new part in my hand to look at tomorrow

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Worst part is removing the original cable from the firewall if the insulation is still there. The cable unclips from the firewall from *inside* the truck, and all the insulation makes it more difficult.

If you've got the new one handy, you'll see how it clips into the firewall, a screwdriver helps to push down the tangs that lock it in place.

If you don't have the new cable yet, you've unclipped the stock one from the TBI and the gas pedal to make sure it IS the cable thats bad? I'm sure they can go bad, I've just never heard of it happening before.

3. wadinator

wadinator 1/2 ton status

Yeah, it's just the dangdest thing! I can squirt some WD-40 down the little tube that the cable goes into before disappearing into the firewall (inside the truck), and the pedal is as smooth as can be again for a couple hours. After that it starts getting sticky again.

With the Detroit in the rear and the sticky gas pedal, I'm accidentally chirping my 35's quite often. I figure I've already wasted more than $20 (the price of a new cable) worth of rubber off the tires cuz of the stupid sticky cable.

4. dyeager535

If you've got some lithium grease around, try that.

WD-40 doesn't work long term as a lubricant (attracts dust and isn't thick, WD=Water Displacing) so that could be part of your problem.

But for the cost of a cable, you are probably right, just replace it if that is the problem.

5. wadinator

wadinator 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If you've got some lithium grease around, try that.

WD-40 doesn't work long term as a lubricant (attracts dust and isn't thick, WD=Water Displacing) so that could be part of your problem.

But for the cost of a cable, you are probably right, just replace it if that is the problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

The first thing I used was stuff called White Lightning, which was some sort of lithium grease. It lasted a few days, but didn't fix the problem.

6. dyeager535

maybe the cable has worn through the sheathing, or its been pinched. Try and remember to post if you can see the problem when you replace it, something I can look out for as I try and find the right throttle cable for my application /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif