Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Accelerator Cable to long!

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dr1553, Jul 15, 2002.

1. dr1553

dr1553 Registered Member

Everyone,

I just bought a new Edelbrock #1406 carb and put on my '72 K5 today. I bought a new accelerator cable to go on while I was as it because the old one looked all busted up. I put on the new cable and the new carb and the cable is to long! The old one had been shortened is why it looked so messed up. The chevy place says that he doesnt show a different cable between the regular '72 trucks and the '72 blazers but their not the same. I have a '72 C10 truck and the engine in the Blazer sits much further back towards the firewall. Does anyone know why the difference? Does anyone know where I can get the correct cable for my '72 blazer?

Thanks,
    David

2. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

The 2wd's had their motors sitting diferently than the 4wd's. Truck or Blazer, 2wd same. Truck or Blazer 4x4= same.

3. dr1553

dr1553 Registered Member

Heya,

That makes sence. The engine sits further back to make a front driveshaft possible? That would be my guess. I'll go back to the chevy dealer tomorrow and see if thats where the mix up is.

BTW...on the new carb. it has two places for the hose from the distributor. One port is for timed and the other port is for full vacuum...so the instructions say. The port that is not used should be capped off it says. Any idea which port I need to use?

Thanks,
    David

4. dr1553

dr1553 Registered Member

Everyone,

Went back to the chevy dealer. I have the 4wd Blazer/Truck cable. So now I dont know whats wrong. The cable I need should be about 16" overall from carb to pedal.

Can someone that has a '72 K5 measure the cable from the firewall to the bracket on the carb. Not where it attaches to the carb. but the bracket that holds the cable in place. The bracket that is attached to the rear passenger side carb bolt.

On my truck it should be 6 1/2".
    The cable I bought is 7 1/4".

Thanks,
    David

5. skyblazer

skyblazer 1/2 ton status

Hey, ran into the same problem with mine. I have a 72 K5 with an Edelbrock 1411. I think that you have the right cable. It works fine, but it looks too long. I'll take some measurements tomorrow. I believe that the vacuum advance is connected to the ported vacuum source. I'll check that for sure tomorrow as well.

6. dr1553

dr1553 Registered Member

Heya,

Your in Houston.....I'm in Lake Jackson, just south of you about an hour drive. What part of Houston are you in? I see the pics of the Embraer in your gallery. I've flown the Embraer....in FS2002 anyways. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif Who do you fly for? I'm on trac to get my Private this month or early next depending on the weather! All I have left to do is 2hrs of cross country and an hour of night flying and then the check ride! Then I will be going straight for my Instrument without stopping. My goal is to fly for an airline eventually. If your an airline pilot I have about a million questions I would like to ask you. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Let me know about the cable but I really think its not going to work.

Later,
    David

7. skyblazer

skyblazer 1/2 ton status

David, I measured the firewall to linkage bracket and I have approx. 6.5" also and I used the same cable you have. It will have sort of an S-turn in it when you install it, but it should work fine (I didn't think it would work either). I think the excess length is for engine twist, etc. I also checked on the vacuum port, but you may want a second opinion on this one because I don't have a vac. advance on my dist. The edelbrock instructions say to use the manifold vac. port (driver's side) for non-emission controlled engines. That's the one I'd use. Congrats on the just-about private cert. Glad to hear from another pilot and Texan K5'er! I've been with Continental Express for about 5 years. Send me a PM if you have some questions about stuff or fly on over to Weiser airport here in NW Houston - we'll go get some lunch.

8. dr1553

dr1553 Registered Member

Heya,

I'll try the cable. I didnt think about letting is do an s-turn. I'll go try that right now.

Weiser...Ive been there. Did my very first night time landing there. My instructor thought it was funny when I got down low enough on final to tell that the lights are further out than the runway is wide! That was the smallest runway I had landed on at the time. The runway there is narrower than our taxways at KLBX.

I could fly up there and eat lunch with ya at the BBQ place if ya want sometime. Do you have a plane there?

I'm gonna go try that cable...I'll let you know if it works.

Thanks,
    David

9. dr1553

dr1553 Registered Member

Heya,

I hooked up the cable...it does work but I dont like the way it looks. I guess that after sitting that way for awile it will take on that s-shape and not be in such a bind.

I took the measurement from the bed to the roof. I got 43 5/8" at the high point in the bed to the part of the roof that dips down.

Later,
    David

10. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

mines a 69 but it has like an 8 inch piece of allthread looking stuff from the pedal to the carb

nathan

11. skyblazer

skyblazer 1/2 ton status

David, thanks for the measurements. I'm not going to be home much for the next couple weeks, but we'll have to get some BBQ at Carl's when I get back. To answer your question, no I don't have a plane at Weiser......the paycheck at COEX isn't nearly that big! Hey, could I talk you into splittin some time in yours? I haven't been in a single for......well a long time and I'm dying to do some REAL flying.

12. dr1553

dr1553 Registered Member

Heya,

I just dont get it. All pilots of passenger jets say its boring. I cant wait to strap a passenger liner on and go for a spin!

I dont own a plane....I rent a 172SP from the local flight school. But once I get my license I'll be up for splitting some time with ya if you want. After all I need 50hrs cross country for my instrument and 250 for commercial. So I have alot of time left to spend in a small plane. Maby rent a two place Pitts? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Then we can do some real flying!

Send me an email at dr1553@hotmail.com with your phone # and I'll give you a call.

Later,
    David

13. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

my vaccuum advance is hooked up to the passenger side port and i capped off the other one on the driver side of carb /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

14. wheelin72

wheelin72 Registered Member

never knew there were pilots in here.
    Im not a pilot but im starting to study now. My dad has the local FBO here and hes getting his instructors liscense now to teach me how to fly. Im 17 and am hoping to get an early start for a career in the airlines after i build some time in the air national guard. Right now ive been building time to get my A and P