Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Accelerator Cable

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lak2004, Jan 23, 2007.

1. lak2004

lak2004 1/2 ton status

Well today was interesting when I was driving down I-25 in Denver and I let off the gas but my truck didnt. I made it half way home before the throttle cable was stuck wide open throttle. The damn cable frayed and broke! :doah: I had to go to 3 dif parts stores to get a new one and ended up getting it at Carquest for $17. I put it in but it is wayy too long and seems to bind up unless it is in the perfect spot. There is about 6 inches of extra length in the cable and I just want to know if anyone makes a shorter cable or if there is a way to shorten it properly. I will try to post some pics up tomorrow.

2. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

when i bought a replacement it was the same deal. Way too long, but I made it work and haven't had any problems.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Lokar makes some cut to fit cables. I used one in my fuel injection swap.

Harley

4. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

What he said ^ I bought mine from lokar and I just cut it down to the right size.
    |
    |

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Always carry some wire or string with you for emergencies . Supersize had to do this . Just tug the throttle with the wire after removing the broken one from the carb linkage .

Just make sure to change it out before the next half dozen trips out :laugh:

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

GM makes the right one--no one else does...

I've tried using those aftermarket replacement cables,and had no luck--they were too long,had the wrong ends,etc..had to loop one around the carb to get it to work smoothly..many I sold to other customers had the same trouble..those "universal" cables don't work right many times..

If I need an accelerator cable I go to the GM dealer or a junkyard--usually the junkyard...they don't fail too often,and most yards practically give them to you,or charge 5-10 bucks--better than paying 30 at a dealer,and having to wait for one to come in on special order..(which cannot be returned in most cases if it happend to not fit!)..

I had one accelerator cable snap on a cold winter day while I was plowing snow..no parts stores were open,or junkyards either,at 2 am!..I had to do something,so I took the cable off,and cut the inner wire with side cutters,and pulled it out of the housing...I cranked the idle speed screw on my carb in until the motor was running at about 2000 rpm,and drove it 5 miles home that way!--it was NOT a fun ride!..

At home in my shop,I found an old bicycle brake cable in a pile of junk I had lying around..I used that cable's inner wire to "refill" my original cable's housing,along with a "barrel bolt" used on lawnmowers,that I had in my parts pile, to secure the throttle cable at the pedal end,and I crimped a solderless ring style wire connector onto the carb end so I could hook it to the carb..

It worked great until I got another used cable at the junkyard..Some other guys I know who had their accelerator cables snap,used wire rope from Home Depot that was thin enough to fit it the old cable's housing,and some of those "barrel bolt" dewhickies to get home!....

I once drove my '63 VW Beetle home 15 miles with a peice of mechanics wire hooked to the throttle lever on the carb--ran the wire out the louvers on the back near the rear window,and over to the drivers side,and tied it to the side mirror,so I could pull on it to rev it up!..it was quite a chore driving it home like that,and the fact it was 25 degrees out and I had to leave my window wide open and my arm and hand outside in the 50 mph wind chill SUCKED!..:doah: :crazy:

7. 1986K10

1986K10 Registered Member

I just got a new one fron NAPA afew weeks ago, fit perfect.

8. lak2004

lak2004 1/2 ton status

ok so my blazer originally came with a 305 but the PO swapped in the 350 and I have no clue what year the 350 is. could that be why it is so much longer? how do I look up the year of the engine?

9. 1986K10

1986K10 Registered Member

That's what I just did. Replaced a blown 6.2 with a rebuilt 350. Just ask for an accelerator cable for a 350 K5.(or in my case, K10;)

10. lak2004

lak2004 1/2 ton status

Yea I got the one for a 350 but I think I am going to go the Lokar route or maybe just cut it and find a way to reattach it