Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Accelerator Sticking

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Neko H, Jun 8, 2000.

1. Neko H

Neko H Registered Member

Ok needing some insight and input.

My accelerator is sticking, not all the time but once in a while. This does not make for safe city driving at all. I checked the linkage's and springs on the carb, they looked fine but shot some WD 40 on them anyway.

I was checking out the spring on the accelerator pedal and noticed on the cable there is a knob or ......(not sure how to describe it) but it looks like it is suposed to be there. It is about an inch and a half to two inches from the pedal. Wondring if this is maybe sticking up in the tube for the cable. It's a 79 Jimmy, but does anyone else have this .... thing (and does anyone know what the heck it is called).

Also any ideas on fixing this?

Neko H
    79 GMC Jimmy 4x4
    (If I'd only win the Lottery, it would be Cherry)

2. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

I did win the lottery and it is nice...

remove all the linkage and move the lever on the carb to see if it is hanging anywhere, then attach the linkage and operate it to both detents and see if you can find where it is catching. If nothing else undo the bolts holding the accelerator to the floor and remove it and the cable and go over it throughly. If all else fails...get a bigger spring...

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

First, get some carb cleaner and spray down the linkage to remove the WD-40 that you sprayed on there. Carb linkages are designed to operate without lubricants because the lubricants attract and hold dust and dirt, which can cause the linkage to bind.

Next, find out what's causing the binding. I had a '70 Nova that would stick at WOT in cold weather. A close look at the linkage showed that when the choke was set to full-on, it's linkage was out of alignment just enough that it would catch on the throttle linkage. A quick bend with a pair of needle nose pliers and it was as good as new.

Also look at clearance between the linkage and air cleaner, especially if it's not the original cleaner. This gets kind of tricky since it's hard to see underneath while the cleaner is in place. Use a small mirror and flashlight to help you see what's going on.

As for the cable, you can check that easily enough. With the engine off, have someone press the pedal to the floor while you look to see if anything under the dash is hanging up the pedal. Check for clearance to carpet, floor mats, under-dash wiring (like a hacked-in stereo or alarm system) etc.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com