Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Access hole for fuel pump

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rampage, Feb 11, 2002.

1. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Since my Jimmy is on it's lucky 13th year I figure I should prepare myself for replacing the fuel pump when it goes out. I want to cut an access hole in the floor. For those of you who have done this could you give me the measurements for where the hole should be (from the tailpan and from the floor sides next to the quarter panels). Also, how did you make the hole and how worried should I be about cutting next to the gas tank? Opinions on replacement pumps are also appreciated.

2. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I know this wont help, but I had to mention this because it made me laugh.

I read the subject of this post as..

[censored] for fuel pump

Hehe oops.

Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    1-ton 454 44 TSLs

3. GRINCH

GRINCH 1/2 ton status

Do a search. I can't remember who but someone posted a write up on this with pics. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/90k5blaze>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/90k5blaze</a>
    The Few, The Proud, The K5 Blazer

4. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

When I get home I'll measure. People have said before that this won't work but I PROMISE you it will. I've pulled my pump out through there several times. I'll have some numbers for you by morning at the latest.

You'll still have to get under the truck to take the wiring harness loose, but that's about it. Last time I pulled mine I had just got gas so the tank was FULL, I was NOT gonna drop it. I did get a little nervous working over ~30 gallons of gas, but no big deal [​IMG]

Kyle
    89K5

5. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Thanks! ... much appreciated.
    What method did you use to make the hole. Did you use a nibbler or grinder? I'm a little concerned with sparks that close to the tank.

6. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

That's pretty funny ... that thought never even crossed my mind. [​IMG]

7. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Honestly..... sawzall [​IMG] I didn't have the tank in mine the time I cut the first hole. If I were to do it again, I'd prb. take a large welding blanket or peice of something and lay over the tank then get out the jigsaw and slice away. I had to grind one of the straps off last time I pulled it, honestly it didn't cross my mind what the hell I was doing till I was done. Even worse was I was pulling it because it was leaking [​IMG]

My wife kinda stears aay from me when I'm working on the truck

Kyle
    89K5