Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Access panel above fuel tank?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CK5, Jun 26, 2000.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Anyone make an access panel above the fuel tank for easy changing of the in-tank fuel pump? If so, lets hear what you did.

Steve

2. After paying a $200.00 tow bill from the middle of a mud bog.(Wife and both kids with me too) I was sitting in 2 foot of muck and couldn't even begin to drop the tank so I got her towed out. Come to find out I had knocked the pump off of the outlet tube when my baffle had came loose from the little pins and push on washers that hold the baffle in place. I had debated going with the inline pump, but went with the cheap fix so that this would never happen again. I cut a hole in the floor, welded on the hinges and put in a lock. I didn't have carpet, but I covered it with a rubber mat. I would reccomend an inline pump though.

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

3. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

made one on a 87" suburban after the intank pump went out.Cut a hole above the pump and sending unit.I cut a piece from a truck bed that was one inch bigger all the way around.siliconed it and used small sheet metal screws too hold it down.

4. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Got one on my 89. Saved my bacon more than once. I didn't hinge it or nothing, just cut a peice a little bigger and stuck it down with silicone and screws like the other guy. I'll swear by it. You can't notice it, it's under everytihng else and makes changeing fuel pumps a LOT easier to do.

Kyle
    89K5

5. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

How big did you make the hole? Also, another idea, maybe some kind of steel trap door with a frame could be placed in the hole, any ideas about a little steel door and frame combo that would work? I think I will walk around Home base and see if they have one for some home application. Just to get the creative jucies going, I thought about a Tuffy security glove box door for a Jeep, you could use just the door part (the lock would stick up though).

Steve

6. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

I have not done this but get some angel iorn and weld a squar then weld a nouther squar that will fit in the first one the bolt tred plat to it with a nuff work it might even look good

[​IMG]Go prepared
    </font color=red>90 k5 soon to be big, bad, and mean

7. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

I've though about this my self! What with the skid plate under the tank. Plus it always seams that the tank neededs to be worked on when its full of gas, 40 gal. at about 8 lbs per! Yea I game to do this. Just got to the find the best way.

8. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    I don't know if my 88 is different than everybody elses truck, but there isn't ANYWAY in all heck that I could remove my sending unit/fuel pump with out the tank being pulled. There are 1 - 2' long steel lines that come out of the sending unit headed towards the P.S. of my truck that would never fit through a hole unless it was large enough for a person to fit through. I'd opt for a fuel pump right after the fuel filter for emergency situations.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

9. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

that seem like the way to go

[​IMG]Go prepared
    </font color=red>90 k5 soon to be big, bad, and mean

10. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

After 2 pump failures I decided to get rid of the in-tank pump! Best move I ever made. Mallory 4060FI on passenger side frame rail, mounted using existing frame holes. Made
    spacers from 1/2 pipe. Pump motor and pump head are rebuildable and very HD. Definitely worth the $. Found best deal on the pump at Summitt. Its been in 3 years and no problems.

SteveB

11. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Steve

I've heard similar to what Corey mentioned. I was talking to someone about the same idea and was told that the pump needs to be tipped and brought out so far sideways when removing it and it takes a lot of space. Can't verify this yet but when I do take mine apart later this summer, if I can, I'm doing what you have in mind.

Brian
    89KBlazer

12. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Moroso sells one for Drag Cars. It is a flush mounted access door for fuel cells. It usually is mounted on the exterior of a car body but could be adapted to this application. I will check more info for you.

[​IMG]
    Mudzer 1978/91 K5