Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Accessing sheet metal under rocker boxes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FWP, May 10, 2002.

1. FWP

FWP CRS

Or, How do you get the boxes off? It looks like it's spot welded in there, all over the place. I need to get under the floorboards. Any thoughts????

2. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

Maybee try drilling the spot welds out.I have a hole cut int the back wheel well part of the boxes.

3. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I just completly rebuilt the cab floor of my K5 to include the inner rockers and body mounts. If your talkin about the inner rocker panels....Yep. They are spot welded. I just used a grinder and cut off wheel to get them outta there....But I was replacing them with new stuff. Why do ya need to get in there?

4. FWP

FWP CRS

Thanks, that's what I thought, just wanted to make sure before I go a cutting....

I have to fix some weld nuts for my seat belts and seat mounts, and I'm also putting in a cage.

5. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

Just cut a hole int the back exposed area in front of the rear wheel.This is how I got to my cage bolts. I only cut three side and folded the piece.Then pushed it back into place when finished.So if need I can still get in there.

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Do not remove the boxes till you have the body braced. Have the hard top on and weld braces into the door opening in a X pattern to keep it in line. The big problem is NOBODY makes rocker boxes. Your going to have to lift the body up off the frame some because the forward cab mount is under the box (it is also rusted out would be my guess and need to be replaced). The boxes are galvanized and you might be able to salvage them. The rest of the parts that it attaches to (except the bed crossmember) are easily fabricated or close enough to truck floors that you can modify them. Those parts are cheap. Cut the verticals out and do your best to save the box and not disstort it if you going to try to retain it. Other option is to make a sub frame out of steel. That's how I had to do it because my rocker boxes were not salvagable.

7. FWP

FWP CRS

Good points. After looking a little closer, the boxes themselves are in excellent condition. The sheet metal that they hide, unfortunately, is not in very good shape. I can see quite a bit of rust looking in the oval hole that they put in the front section of the box. What a dumb place to put a hole, right where dirt and mud can fill up the body crossmember and door rockers/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif. I may just cut a section out like Brady suggested, and do my repair/ mods while leaving the rocker boxes in place.