Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Accident Report

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bnc04, Oct 7, 2006.

1. bnc04

bnc04 Guest

Question for you guys.

My 19 year old son was involved in a serious accident earlier today in Phoenix. Thankfully, the damage is repairable and with some minor surgery, he should fully recover quickly. He was on his was to school to turn in about 10k of video equipment when the wreck happend. He has no memory of it and is still heavily sedated so we really don't know what happened, nor where his car and gear were taken.

Calling the DPS was not much help as they need the Vin or plate number which I don't have sitting here in Colorado. My ex wife is in Phoenix now but can't get an officers name or much info at all right now.

Do any of you officers have some advice on how to get the information about the accident as well as the location of the car?

We will call his insurance ( when he wakes up so we know who the carrier is) and get the Vin number so that may help locate the car. Other than that? How do we get the scoop on what happened?

If it makes a difference, the accident was at Dunlap and I-17 at about 10:00 am local time. He was extricated and taken to John C Lincoln hospital.

Thanks,
    Brett

2. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

Find out what police department handled the scene, they have a choice of 2-3 tow companies that get called for that area for accidents. They will have the car. Dont expect to get much cooperation from the actual tow company either.

We jus got a theft recovery back last week and you get treated like your the criminal sometimes. They got 150bux for towing and storing our jeep for a total of 4 hours. :rolleyes:

My buddy tows and tells me of all the crap that goes on.

3. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Call the police, they should be able to help you with the info you have. If by some chance they can't, you mentioned that your son was extricated, if Fire or EMS were on scene they should have a report with the attending officers name. Good luck! Glad he's going to be ok.

4. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

MAN! sorry to here about that. hope he recovers completely.

5. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

former Ohio cop

OK here is how it worked in our jurisdiction. The department that handles the call in my case small township. Dispatch would tone out rescue/life squad and dispatch us to the scene. We would take the report on accident (local 911 non emergency can tell you agency). Once we have the scene under control we would ascertain if the damage was enough to require a tow. If a tow was needed we requested the next available tow or tows (we had several companies and they went on a rotation if A company had last tow then B company got the first then C company got next). The agency has to list the name of the towing company on the accident report. The hospital will have a record of who transported him and they might be able to help you also.

You need to find out as soon as you can because things tend to disappear in tow lots fast. In most regions the county sheriff handles dispatch unless it is a large city. I hope this helps you out. Good luck and prayers for your son.

6. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hope your son is alright.

7. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

depending on how bad the accident was,

if you would like have it towed to a friend of mines body shop, the insurance will cover the tow along with storage, if it is fully covered anyways. also it can be a pain to deal with the tow company,

they want to see proof or registration and id to release a car, good chance it is cactus towing and just thinking of my past dealing with them gets me upset!

find out the basic info, along with if he has ful coverage, and if he does get it out of there asap,

if you need any help, or want to have it towed to a quality family owned shop that i def trust give me a call 480-228-3218

shawn

hope things go smooth for your son

8. bnc04

bnc04 Guest

All, Thanks a ton for the replies and Shawn Thanks for the gracious offer.

My ex wife was able to get the responding officer's name and talked with him today. The officer took it upon himself to tale the 10k worth of camera and video equipment back to the school. He'll definitely be getting a thank you letter from my son when he is able.
    Turns out, a driver ran a red light, hit an SUV full of soccer kids which then hit my sons car. I don't have more details than that at the moment on other injuries etc. .
    My Son carried only liability on the Integra that he just bought 3 weeks ago for a great price and it's looking like it will be totaled, The drivers door and A pillar were shoved past the center of the steering column and he had to be extricated which involved cutting him out in some fashion.

He is recovering after 3 hours of surgery to repair facial, forehead and scalp lacerations, cracked ribs, damaged tendons in his left hand( going for more surgery tonight for that ) and had surgery this morning to repair his left eyelid. He'll carry some character scars but is expected to retain full vision and use of his hand after PT
    The Poor kid works 3 jobs and goes to school full time paying his way for everything and he's most upset about missing work and school. He'll rebound and move forward after this setback and probably be the wiser for it.

As parents, these years of life have to be the most stressful, You know Chit will be happening and hope and pray that they can survive and learn from the chit that happens like most of us were able to do.

Thanks again for the well wishes and thoughts. They are very much appreciated.
    Brett

9. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

That's great news, glad he will be fine. I can only imagine what it must be like to have a teenager. I remember when I was one, I always laughed at the idea of teen angst, and "the teen years are the toughest". It wasn't till later years that I realized those terms are for the parents of teens!

10. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Good to hear he is doing better.

On the officer doing that. A letter to his Chief requesting it be put in the officers file as "what he did was above and beyond what would be expected of him" will be a nice thing.. I can speak from past experience. You never get good letters about you! But they do get ones from people who think you shouldn't stop them or that you were sitting someplace "hiding" (how the heck do you hide a police car with a light bar and 11" lettering).

Believe me it is nice to hear that someone said thanks.

11. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I wish you and your son the best. I have teenagers and they mean the world to me.

12. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Trust me, sometimes you are even INVISIBLE! :D

13. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

[SIZE=-1]God made police so firemen would have heroes:haha::D:haha:

Good to hear that your son is going to recover.

[/SIZE]

14. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

I thought is was so we'd have something to watch on "Great Police Chases" at the hall! :haha:

15. AZ79K5Project

Like the signature says:
    [SIZE=-1]If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]

[/SIZE]
    I know some that policies are named after.

16. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Glad to hear your son is going to recover. Contact the law enforcement agency admin clerk (Secretary) and give her date, location, time, and your son's name and they will be able to get you an accident report. (for a small fee). Get somebody contacting both your insurance company just to notify since he had liability and contact the insurance company of the car that collided with your son's car. The insurance on the car that hit your son should cover damages and medical bills. Then that insurance will go after the driver who ran the red light.

Keep reciepts on everything. Get the car out of the tow yard as soon as possible since storage fees are added daily. Typically $25.00 or so per day. This is not a quick process as far as the insurance goes. Good Luck and post up if you have questions.

P.S. Find out what court the ticket was written into for the driver that ran the red light. It should have been a summons since injuries were involved. Contact the district attorney for that jurisdiction and make sure they have all your son's info so he can be re-imbursed for costs that insurance doesnt take care of. Copies of medical bills, work loss time etc. Not sure how that all works in AZ. Depending on what type of programs are available there he may be eligible for some type of victim compensation.

Sheet metal can be replaced or repaired, People can't.

17. AZ79K5Project

In AZ, they have increased sanctions for red light runners. It is a class 3 misdemeanor now if there were serious injuires are involved (in this case it sounds like there were) if the guy's license was good. It is a felony if the red light runner did not have a good license. If it was a misdemeanor ticket, the driver would have been issued a mandatory court date of appearance. The officer may not have written the misdemeanor if he did not have complete injury information at the time of the investigation.

Misdemeanors are hanlded through local city courts if Phx handled the wreck or the local JP court if DPS did the investigation. Felonies will be handled through the Maricopa County - CA's office.

Good advice from the last post - start now getting information.

Good luck.