Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

According to MileMarker

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by walla2k5, Nov 6, 2004.

1. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

All winches were used at 70% of manufactures rated capacity:

WARN 9500-
    5/16" cable breaks @ 8,800# , 700# less than manufactures rated capacity.
    70% of manufactures rated load is 6,650#
    pull distance- 9.5 ft.
    time to stall- 2:46
    ave. line speed- 3.4 fpm
    ambient motor temp.- 159*

Superwinch 9000-

5/16" cable broke @ 9200#, 200# over manufacture rating
    70% of manufactures rated load is 6,300#
    pull distance- 18 ft.
    time to stall- 2:34
    average line speed- 7 fpm
    ambient motor temp.- 184*

Ramsey 9500-

5/16" cable broke @ 10,000#, 500# over manufactures rating 70% of manufactures rated capacity is 6,650#
    pull distance- 21 ft.
    time to stall- 2:38
    ave. line speed- 7.9 fpm
    ambient motor temp.- 164*

MileMarker 8000-

3/8" cable exceeded manufactures rating by 2,300# ( didn't break, well duh, 3/8" cable)
    70% of manufactures rated pull is 5,000#
    pull distance- 5.5 ft.
    time to stall- 1:49
    ave. line speed- 3 fpm
    ambient motor temp.- 141*

For what it's worth.....all #'s taken from MM marketing video... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Too bad everything but the cable on my milemarker winch keeps breaking.

I'd take broken cables to have a winch that worked any day!!

3. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

what milemarker did you get tim? ill prolly be lookin at winches sometime and i though milemarkers were oone of the better brands.

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I think he bunched the cable on the drum and broke the case
    I havent heard him state anything else
    seems any of the winches that have that stupid aluminum bridge could do that
    they should all have a cable tensioner to avoid bunching them

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    what milemarker did you get tim? ill prolly be lookin at winches sometime and i though milemarkers were oone of the better brands.

[/ QUOTE ]

E-12000.

[ QUOTE ]
    I think he bunched the cable on the drum and broke the case I havent heard him state anything else
    seems any of the winches that have that stupid aluminum bridge could do that they should all have a cable tensioner to avoid bunching them

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, I forgot to mention my newest batch of problems. The case thing is important though--the support rods on the Milemarker are closer to the cable than any other winch.

I broke the clutch lever clean off the unit with my bare hands!!

This thing is the cheapest made piece of Chinese [censored] I've ever seen!! Seriously guys, avoid it like the plague.

Next time I'll buy a Warn or Ramsey or a MM Hydraulic! I can't believe that Milemarker would even put their name on this piece of Chinese [censored]!

That's not even mentioning it stalled in the mud pit at Real Truck Challenge!

6. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I've been wondering about Ramsey winches and those tests make them look pretty good.

My father-in-law has had the same Ramsey for almost 30years on 4 different trucks. He doesn't use it a lot any more, but he's never had a problem. Matter of fact he bought it used. Funny thing, you could almost buy a new one today for what he had to pay for it used back in the day.

7. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've been wondering about Ramsey winches and those tests make them look pretty good.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Ramsey winches kick ass is all I can say. I have two 1200 lbs Ramseys on My GMC 6500 wrecker and they never fail. I was pulling an F-350 full of firewood up a hill once with it and the front of My truck was lifting off the ground. Thats with having a Cat 3126 in the front of it.

8. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Warn seems to be very good. Seem well built and last a long time. I have a little M8000 that I bought used and I have pulled myself up muddy hills without stalling it out. So far so good with Warn /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

I admit the Ramsey looks real strong, but I would guess the wrecker would use industial grade motors... /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

10. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The problem with the E12000 is the physical size of the winch is too small. There isn't enough room between the cable on the drum and the support rods and the feet of the winch aren't tall enough.

Yesterday I used my E12000 twice.

First time, I had 1 dead battery and 1 good battery. My alternator was screaming rape trying to charge the auxilary battery (the winch runs off it) while my two electric fans were going. The fuse between the two batteries blew sometime during the day. I put a 2 gauge jumper cable between batteries. I pulled out a 5700lb Ford on 35s that the tires weren't touching the ground. It was a 35' pull. I had to rewrap the cable twice because it kept stacking (which is what kills a lot of MileMarkers). My truck weighs around 5500lbs fully loaded with me in it. My linelocks kept my tires from rotating but my truck was being dragged by the winch. I hooked it up to a tree with a 2" strap. The winch never stalled but it'd stop because I would get down to around 6v at which time the solenoids would no longer engage.

Second time, I had one almost dead battery, a tired alternator, and a good battery. Still had to use the jumper cable. The winch made probably a 25' pull and it didn't stack. I stopped a couple times to give the alternator a break. My voltmeter read 7 volts through the whole pull. It was a lot lighter (early 90s S10 Blazer) but it had people in it with the tires barely touching and it never helped me (was in neutral steering).

Anyway, the MileMarker E12000 is $600 to your door these days and comes with a mounting plate and a cover. You can't beat what you get for that price. I'll probably buy another one someday for the front of the project rig. I'll make new support rods and make it so the cable can stack without ruining the case.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you do get one, don't put it in a hidden mount...that's my major problem with mine.

12. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Just got my 16.5 Warn all tucked up between the frame rails. Cant wait to get it our and test it.

Warn... the only way to go.

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif