Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ace the dust shields or why to keep them.........opinions please

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BurbinOR, Apr 26, 2001.

1. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Guys, my D60 is in pieces having a Detroit Locker put in, new u-joints, seals, etc............the dust shields are rather "mangy" [​IMG] and I thought I remembered some guys getting rid of them..........seems all they would do is hold mud and sticks/grass, crud back there..............so what do you guys think?

Ace them or keep them............

<font color=orange>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com</A>

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Ace 'em. I helped my dad put new brakes on his 60 and before we put the rotors back on we tossed the sheilds.</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

3. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I tossed mine on the 60, since I run 15" wheels and they are pretty close, they wouldn't let anything get out. I know lots of guys that have done this w/no adverse affects, we mostly rock crawl.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

4. LittleJimmy

LittleJimmy 1/2 ton status

I agree pitch them. Later LittleJimmy

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Up to the top..........someone else weigh in please..........

<font color=orange>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com</A>

6. Brians 60s

Brians 60s 1/2 ton status

toss those pieces of shet. All they are good for is holding small rocks that put grooves in your rotors after you go muddin.

"IF YOU'VE NEVER BEEN STUCK.....YOU'VE NEVER BEEN WHEELIN"!!!

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Yep, toss those pieces of dog sh!t!!! [​IMG]
    When I go thru my 85 K30's front, I am tossing those sheilds.
    They do nothing but collect mud, grass, etc. I know because I have had four 1 tons with another on the way and they do nothing to help the rotors. At the car wash, its a b!tch to clean the gunk in there. With them off, it will be easier to clean and also easier to check for any signs of leakage coming from the seals on the back of the bearing hubs.

8. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

Should be safe to ditch 'em on any front end, right??

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!! [​IMG]

9. thatK30guy

Only as long as they are the thin steel type. You cant ditch the thicker type because they are part of the plate to hold the caliper. On the 81 and newer trucks, they use the thick plates with the thin dust shields pop welded to them. Those thin shields can be ground off to be removed.

10. FastEddy

FastEddy 1/2 ton status

I have the corporate 10 bolt in the front of my shortened 87 'burb and plan on trimming most of the thick backing plate off, but will leave enough there to still keep the caliper where it is supposed to stay. This is only an off road contraption and mainly do heavy mud running so it won't be on the highway (or even licensed for that matter) just trying to shave off as much weight up front as I can, and those backing plates are way overkill...any thoughts?

11. thatK30guy

I wouldnt do anything to modify the 1/4 inch steel. Just take the thinner steel shields off.
    Another option: Find backing plates from 73-76 K10's. They look almost like the 81 to 91 plates but have ALOT less 1/4 inch material around the plate. This would give you the proper weight reducing that you want.