Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

acetylene vs MAPP???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tp85, Jan 8, 2003.

1. tp85

tp85 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a small portable oxy-acetylene setup, but sometimes this setup is too small cut large amounts of material or heat/bend solid bar stock.

I called my gas supplier to find out about getting bigger tanks, and he was encouraging me to consider MAPP as an alternative. He said the only advantage acetylene had was for brazing.

What are the pros and cons? I pretty much only use the oxy-acetylene setup for cutting and heating....not welding or brazing. I usually hear about people using acetylene, so is there disadvantage in using MAPP? Maybe MAPP is newer, and acetylene is old school. Is there a cost issue?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

MAPP is much cheaper and nearly as good as acetylene. Acetylene is the hottest gas you can get but MAPP and even propane are nearly as good at much less cost. I have used all three and I had no issues using the MAPP...it'll heat very near as quick as acetylene.

Rene

3. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

i have 2 torches. one uses propane/oxygen and the other uses hydrogen/helium, but that one is for plastic work. the propane us actually what i prefer over acetyline. its cheap and in some cases i think works even better. plus u'll only use about one 25lb tank in about a year. much cheaper and plus u dont have to worry about the tank position like acetyline.

NITRO

4. tp85

tp85 1/2 ton status Premium Member

can propane be used for cutting? i have never heard of this, but it sounds like a nice alternative. will by oxy-acetylene regulators work with propane (i.e. adaptors, pressures, etc..)? how is it set up?

5. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

You have to work a little slower with prop,It's not as hot.If you're not in a hurry or don't cut thick stock it works as well as actl. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gifer in TENN /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

6. tRustyK5

It's not that much slower than acetylene and I've cut plenty of 2" plate with propane. MAPP is a decent alternative, easier to store and use and costs less...

Rene

7. tRustyK5

8. ratlover

ratlover 1/2 ton status

As was said MAPP gas isnt as hot as acetylene. It is more stable though(you know how acetylene gets unstable and can do bad things if ran over 15 if it aint in its happy bottle?)

Propan is good for cutting up cars and other rust or painted/contaminated type metal because it seems less likely to pop and all that jive than acetylene. I havent tried welding with propan just cutting and I havent had any experience with MAPP gas. Propane is also cooler than MAPP so it takes a bit longer but it aint too bad.

You have to run a differnt torch tip it Propane and propan tips and acetylene tips are not interchangeable