Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ack! Help Kingpin Problems!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dhdescender, Jul 5, 2003.

1. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Aug 10, 2002
    Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    I removed the kingpin cap to install my steering arm a month back, now on reinstall I cannot get it all together.
    I made a steering arm and a 1" spacer for crossover steering. The old kingpin cap was 1.575" deep (Can somone confirm this?? my cap is now cut up), so I welded a cap in my steering arm 575" up + the 1" steering spacer to make the spring preload the bushings correctly. Now it seems the stack height of the springs is WAY too excessive to ever bolt back up.

Seems the two conical bushings under the spring wont seat correctly is my best guess... Are they supposed to sit flush on top of each other? I see the top bushing has a slot that fits in a keyway in the axle, but it STILL wont go down far enough, they dont seat correctly. Is there some trick to it?

Help? If somone has a kingpin cap removed...I would also love to make sure I measured the depth correctly!!!

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

REDMANIAC Registered Member

Oct 19, 2001
    I pretty sure you are off a centimeter with the measurements, I havent quite got my arms on yet, but Ive seen people compress the setup using a clamp to get the nuts started evenly. HTH-JESSE
  3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

Dec 28, 2001