Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Acquiring stereo equip....how should I hook it up!

Discussion in 'Audio' started by stallion85, Jun 9, 2004.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Jul 11, 2003
    I am in the process of making a trade for 2 RF 10" subs. I was thinking of trying to mount them into the side paneling that goes from behind the front seats to the tail gate. Has anyone done this? I was thinking maybe to get some lumber and cut it to match the siding for support and then filling in the inside with a foam sealer or something.... I haven't had subs in my vehicle in probably 10 years. Right now I have 2 RF 4" 3 ways in the dash and 2 Sony 6X9's next to the rear bench. The 6X9's are running off a punch 40. I am getting a 600 watt amp with the trade also. I am thinking of running the punch 40 to the 2 4" RF, then running the 6X9's and Subs off the 4 channel amp. Does this sound like the best route? Thanks for any ideas or help /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
  2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Mar 5, 2001
    Two immediate concerns with your idea:

1. Mounting depth of those side panels probably won't accomodate the large magnet structures of a subwoofer.

2. Sub enclosures need to be STRONG and airtight (sealed box designs anyway) if your box is using the sheetmetal of the truck to create part of the box, it's unlikely to be strong enough to hold the pressure. More likely, that metal will deform, resonate and buzz....

I've got some pics in my gallery (see .sig) of a subwoofer design that somewhat addresses your questions....feel free to copy the design or modify it to meet your own needs. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif